I need some help with terms.

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by thudpucker, Jul 31, 2011.

1. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I've been out of the Commercial aspect of outboards for a long time.
    Since then, the Mfg's have these terms that are not self-explanatory.

"Loopers":confused:? Maybe "Loop-charged" but I still dont know what it means.

"Ficht". Is there a simple sketchy explanation of that one. I know it has something to do with a Pipe-dream that never actually worked well or lasted very long,:( but also it came along about the time OMC went out. There may be more to the story.
    Anybody?:D

2. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

3. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

4. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

IMP-ish, I liked that vid on Ficht.
    I can see why it had a high failure rate and a poor Repair rate. There were lots of weak points there.
    The Plain ol' EFI should have been a better choice. I guess we wont know till one of the Engineers on that project come on this board.

I was surprised at the Defination of Loop charging and Scavenging. Us Kids knew about that way back in the 50's when we could modify ports in Two strokes to 'scavenge' more Exhaust.
    The early 'hot cams' were an effort to scavenge a lot of good hot gasses in our old Six cylinder cars. It made them Idle like a raging animal ready to leap too.

I'm glad I like EFI as it seems to be the best we have so far.
    Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.