21' Liveaboard Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by reaghcharles, May 20, 2011.

1. reaghcharles

reaghcharles Junior Member

Hello,

I have built a few boats but ...yea...

I was wondering if it was possible to build a boat, using wood or ferro, and have the below deck area completely open as say one big cargo hold?

*edit it will be a 27 foot boat as I am going to tear down and reabuild a 27 footer*

Thank you

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. Lister

Lister Previous Member

Why on the defensive?
    You should take criticism as a compliment.
    Even the most seasoned boatbuilder get criticism as part of the learning curve.
    And obviously you are not on of them.
    As for your question, this is the answer you want, so you will be sure to learn nothing: ABSOLUTELY, GREAT, DO IT.
    Lister

3. reaghcharles

Curiose

I'm only worried that the hull may collapse inword without and walls down there (except the sides, roof, and floor)

4. Nurb

Nurb Junior Member

Ask yourself what dimension you really need to be open. What will you use this cargo hold for?

Under no circumstance should you arbitrarily remove or alter structure from an existing design without calculating exactly what the stringer, bulkhead, floor, etc. contributes to the strength and stiffness at that location. If in doubt, hire a designer to calculate and balance a design for your needs. It's a small percentage of the overall building cost.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is possible. There are many open boats of larger dimensions.

6. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

You are going to tear down and rebuild what 27 footer? That answers a lot of your questions if you include that information.
    Small working vessels that were all cargo hold with little deck or bulkheading were everywhere in Europe 150 years ago. The Humber Keel and Severn Trow are just big sailing boxes. The thing they all have in common is very strong construction to compensate for the lack of deck member in the hull girder, like an open shoe box. Take a shoe box and flex it, it deforms easily. Now glue or tape the lid on thoroughly and try to flex the box, big difference. This is how a boat's hull reacts to being held up first by the ends, then the middle.
    A sailing shoebox with a deck should work fine until it gets really big.

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

8. reaghcharles

The boat, with Pic

It's a 27' Silverton, that bout all the info I have.

I got the boat for free and the wiring and engine were gone hence this idea,

I*'m not so sure how to identify otherwise, but it would seem its more a boat you would see on the lake atm.

[​IMG]

9. Lister

Lister Previous Member

You edited and deleted your part where you wrote: No critisism please,
    So my answer to you is even more accurate.

Lister

10. reaghcharles

Response to the response to my edit

I removed and edited as I felt it was more fair, I would actually like some on this idea. As I have never known anyone to do this.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Many people do it and then realized they destroyed the structural integrity of the boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.