1979 Cajun project?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kreationsbytom, Jun 12, 2014.

1. kreationsbytom

kreationsbytom New Member

I got a 1979 Cajun trihull from a friend. it has an 85 h.p. Johnson that runs great. the floor is bad in it though. Any thoughts on whether it is worth fixing? I will post pics later today.

2. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

There is a "Boat Building" thread you may want to post this to. The boat you describe is quite a common ski boat. Replacing the deck can be a big job if the existing deck and other adjacent framing is rotted as well. Your best bet is to probably:

1. Remove all seats & other hardware attached to the deck.
    2. Remove carpet & inspect the wood. If the damage is beyond the deck and into adjacent frames & stiffiners I would probably go on the hunt for a new hull (or boat).
    3. If only the deck is damaged, you can cut out the bad sections with a portable circular saw (set blade depth no deeper than thickness of deck).
    4. Replace deck (marine plywood, fiberglass encapsulated...no pin holes to allow water intrusion!!!).
    5. Re-carpet the deck & reinstall hardware.
    6. Gas up & go :cool:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.