1979 20' Clipper Craft Dory

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Ccander129, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Ccander129

Ccander129 New Member

Hello, I just bought a Dory boat that needs a section of the floor replaced. It's in the back on the left side looking towards the bow. It's rot ofcourse, and it affects the bottom of the boat and the first lap, this is a lapstrake design. I was looking for a fix that doesn't involve tearing the whole boat apart, but I am aware that, that may be the only fix. Any info would help. Thanks.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Replace the portion(s) of the strake that are bad. This is the simple answer, but doesn't describe the work involved, nor address the simple fact that when you see rot, there's a lot more that you can't see. Not to mention if there's rot in a strake, it usually commutes along the lap to the next plank.

In short, remove the section you think are bad and have a look see. Cut back until you're into good wood, that scab in a replacement. Scarf is best (8:1 or better) or a butt block will do. If the inside and outside are painted then a Sam Devlin seam will also do.

Pictures will be helpful.

3. Ccander129

Ccander129 New Member

thanks for the info, I'll try and get pictures up in the next week or so.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.