How many hours to many on outboard?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by sqdqo, Feb 25, 2007.

1. sqdqo

sqdqo Junior Member

How many hours are to many on a salty outboard without a rebuild?

2. redtech

redtech Senior Member

depending on how you treat it i've seen between 500 and 3500hrs
    don't over prop, good oil and a little decarbonizer every now and then will keep you going for a loooong time.
    my self i've repowered boats will 2500+ hrs without rebuilds that still ran strong
    my last last boat ran a fitch with 3100 hrs when i sold it (never rebuilt luckly)

3. makulaf

makulaf New Member

you can check your compression. If it is way off from factory spec, or if the different cylinders are substantially different, chances are you need a rebuild or at least freshened up. you can also remove the plugs, get a bendable small tip flashlight and look inside the cylinders to see if you still have cross-hatching on the cylinder walls. If you see scoring on the walls instead, then time to rebuild. It is easier/better to pull the heads to examine the cylinders, but you will need to replace the gaskets if you do it this way.

4. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Exactly how long is a piece of string?

I know race tuned engines that need a rebuild after 1 hour!
    My dad still has his 80Hp outboard going some 15+ years later with 100's hours a year.

It really depends on too many factors to give an answer, but basically if it is high performance and/or if you gunn it, it needs work quicker.

5. markjisaacs

markjisaacs Junior Member

5000 hours

I have a friend who ran twin 200hp yamahas commercially for over 5000 hours and they were never opened, infact they were still fine the day he sold the boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.