New Airboat Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by COLD-EH', Dec 10, 2005.

1. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

I am researching building a new airboat. I want to keep it somwhere around 100HP and about 15". Draft is not super important but reasonable speed is. While a southern airboat is completely flat 7' to 8' wide I was wondering if a 4' flat section going to a 4 to 7 degree angle before getting to the sides of the boat would help unwet the hull and increase speeds. Should there ultimatly be some shape to that flat section or 4' wide flat section all the way to the bow? Will either build in glass and wood or styrofoam and glass. If styrofoam and glass can you start with epoxy and then switch to poly? Some people say im frugal!

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

As to your hull shape- Some sketches would help of course. Building a shallow angle into the hull as you describe would (in my opinion) be a good idea; the main reason for a purely flat bottom is to minimize draught. I would tend to sharpen the angles somewhat towards the bow, keeping the panels developable of course. As to the construction method- frugal is good, but epoxy is really worth the extra $$. Poly cannot be laid up overtop of epoxy, it'll delaminate.

3. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

That the kind of stuff I wanted to find out. Probably back to plan A (plywood)as my local dealer wants $600.00 CDN. for a 5 gal. kit of west systems. I haven't figured out how muck I would need yet but im betting on more than 5 gal's. The $150.00 for the 1 gal kits would really hurt.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hmm, I recall WestSystem as being closer to $350-$450 CDN for those kits. Still pricey, I know.... they do enjoy their profiteering.

5. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

I'm going to check out prices on the west coast, See if the fact they sell more volume out there lowers the price. I could probably handle $70.00/gal, thats only about double what I can get poly for.

6. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

Great site and thanks for the input. Looks like when I get home from work I will be downloading Free!ship. Time to design!

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.