1975 SILVERTON 33 - Known Challenges?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BJB, Jul 7, 2006.

1. BJB

BJB Son of a Captain

This is my first post but I have been reading along for a week or two ... I'm selling my '89 2455 Bayliner - the plan is to buy a liveaboard for the 6 months I actually spend in Vancouver, BC. Came across a couple I like, both 1975, one a 32' Uniflite (pre-blister) and a 33' Silverton (tons of added gagets - in fact $32,000 in work done over the past 6 years).

I'm doing the seatrial on the Silverton this weekend and am trying to determine if there are any design flaws I should look for / be aware of. There is a two-year old survey included with the boat and it (allegedly) hasn't been run by the owner much in that time so I'm hoping the survey should be relatively valid. Thanks folks,

John

2. BJB

BJB Son of a Captain

ps - it is a fibreglas hull with a wood superstructure (possibly wooden deck as well) - BJB

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi BJB, and welcome to boatdesign.net!

I have no experience with either the Silverton or the Uniflite, and so I can't comment on any defects in these particular boats. There are a lot of places to inspect that will give you clues as to how well built it is, most of them hidden. Places like the inside of the hull-deck joint, the supports for the fuel tank, the bottom of the anchor locker, etc. If you poke around boats long enough you will get a feel for what's good, what's ok and what's crap. But there are also a lot of books on marine surveying that can help.
    A lot can change in two years- the boat could have been damaged, water in the laminates could have frozen and thawed several times, etc. The few hundred dollars for a basic survey, by a surveyor of YOUR choice, would be well worth it if you're serious- and if he finds damage you're comfortable repairing, you could be able to haggle the price down a bit.

4. BJB

BJB Son of a Captain

Thanks Matt - I'll be sure to check those places. I'm also bringing a mechanic and a knowledgable friend for the trial. Luckily out here there isn't much in the way of freezing at sea level but I get your drift - things change quickly and all available info may not be given to me. Cheers,

John

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.