LED Bow Lights

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by appleconcern, Jun 28, 2016.

1. appleconcern

appleconcern New Member

I have been looking for some decent LED bow lights and was wondering what you all recommend. I found this article and like the first and last ones quite a bit, but I am unsure, as I have always been biased toward incandescent and am not very familiar with the options. Thank you for your recommendations.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I've been using LEDs for many years and they are great. They produce a brighter light with a lot less power.

3. The Q

The Q Senior Member

The First and last set do Not comply with regulations as per the angles the port and Starboard light can be seen.
    Which IIRC is from the centreline forward to 135 degress Aft on the appropriate side. The Sea Dog light probably does meet the regs...

However Properly fitted LED lights are the way to go They last longer and use much less power.

4. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Everyone is making LED's now. There is nothing wrong with LED's but if I had a runabout I might just stay with incandescent bulbs. Heck, I had a 78 Glastron that pounded around for over 25 years. The bulb in the forward nav light was still working when I gave it away.
    I'm using Aqua Signal 33's on my current boat. They work great and use very little current.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The LED has nothing to do with the fixture it is installed. Any old light fixture will accept LED bulbs.

6. appleconcern

appleconcern New Member

Given that, do you have one you recommend? The Sea Dog light might be okay, but I would like to see it on a boat.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Which Sea Dog model?

8. The Q

The Q Senior Member

Sorry, there would be little point me giving you a recommendation as I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic. I'm sure some one with access to your marine market will come along and help.

9. Ike

Ike Senior Member

After I finished rebuilding my 1972 Sea Ray 18 footer, the first upgrade I gave it was LED nav lights. 25 years of working in boating safety taught me that the old incandescent lights were woefully inadequate. The LEDs are far brighter and use fewer amps. Make sure whatever lights you get are USCG approved. They will have a label on the light or on the package USCG Approval 33 CFR 183.810

10. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Yup...no games .. Purchase USCG approved running lights and anchor light.

The brightest you can afford.

Regulations cover minimum light output....not max...

Always upgrade if possible

Every week I face stressful inshore or port entry conditions at night. Anchored or inshore craft become almost invisible in the backround coastal light pollution.

Do not use funky led garden lights at anchor.

11. keith_2500hd

keith_2500hd Junior Member

after years of contact points on incandescent bulbs corroding and going out. I installed bow led's, they are better sealed to prevent corrosion and other reasons mentioned. think new requirement is 2nm, some older boats have 1nm (minimum) range, check your requirements.