Bruce Roberts Voyager DS 655 ???

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Batman67, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Batman67

Batman67 New Member

Hi everyone I am new here. I would like to know if anyone here has any experiences in building Bruce Roberts designs, in particular the DS 655.

I am planning on building a steel hull boat for use mainly around the Philippines when I leave Iraq. I would like a good sea worthy design which I can take any where if the want arises.

I would appreciate any information or input that can be given.

Thanks in advance

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Sir,

I have found Bruce's designs to be OK. One thing to look out for is that he may make the building process sound easier than it is. He is willing to consult with you, free of extra charge, as you progress.

Good fortune with your project & welcome to the forum.

Tim

1 person likes this.
  3. Batman67

Batman67 New Member

Thanks tim,

I appreciate it. I have a while before I get started. I should be able to do a lot of reading on the subject as well as find out which is the best design for me.

I am not sure about the facilities needed to accomplish this really as I am just starting to look into it. It is something I have dreamt of since I was a child and am looking forward to the process.

My time frame is approximately 2 years out but I believe in a well thought out plan. The kit Idea is appealing to me too.

More than likely I undertake this project in the Philippines. I have thought about the west coast as well but I would prefer to build in the PI.

I am also looking at the CAT 65 MS but am not sure how well Catamaran's fair in the open seas or rough weather. The design is appealing to me though.

Thanks again for your comments and for the welcome.

Bruce Wayne

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Welcome aboard, Batman. This is a good place to have questions answered, as Tim just demonstrated. My own experience is in restoring older wood powerboats, so I can't help you much, but there are plenty of good people here who can.

You've got a great dream. Good luck!

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Bruce,

Do you have a large family or are you looking to charter your proposed boat. I ask because that is a very large boat. If you are building it yourself, even with the kit, you are looking at a practical minimum of 4 yrs. build time. Depending on the level of "finish" it could stretch out twice as long.

The shell (steel hull & superstructure) tends to go together in a "comparitivly" short time. It is the fitting out of the systems & interour that consumes the most time.

Now if you are blessed with a large pocketbook you can contract out much work. In the Phillipines you should be able to find labour at a reasonable rate. Don't know about skill levels over there but would think there would be some good people if you look hard enough.

Have a good one.

Tim

Just want to forewarn you.

6. Batman67

Batman67 New Member

Thanks again Tim,

Like I say I am in the process of trying to find a location to build it. I also have some time to spend in Iraq yet, so I have plenty of time to study the whole picture.

I may opt to have it built or try to be involved in the building process. The hull portion I definately want to work on my self or at least with the guidance of a skilled builder. The interior is another story. I am not sure if there are interior kit's available or if it is the work of craftsman and interior designers.

Over the next year I should have the lady of my dreams selected. I am very glad to hae the internet, it has proven to be a great source of imformation. This forum is one good example.

This may sound wild, but I don't even know how to sail. I have been on a few outings but nothing more. I am looking into some sailing schools, especially the live aboard type. It is a good way to spen my RNR's away from Iraq. I am very interested in celestial Navigation as well.

At any rate Tim I am beginning to let my excitement get away from me and ramble.

Thanks again for the advice and input!!! It is appreciated.

Cheers!

Bruce Wayne

7. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I attended Chapman's School of Seamanship back in 1991. Took there 3 month Professional Mariner Training course. Good basic instruction. We did boat handling, power & sail. The sail part was minimal though. They teach cookbook Celestial utilizing the 249 air sight reduction tables. If you have someone to teach you it is pretty straightforward.

Watch your back over there sir & good fortune to you.

Tim

8. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

have you considered the Dix65? A beautiful boat. You can view it under construction at my website....

9. dsharp

dsharp Junior Member

who designed and built the boat on the far right of your home page? One of the best looking hulls that I have seen-really nice work

10. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Thanks for the kind words. All the boats featured on my website was built by myself.
    As for the boat and picture you referring to on my main web page; all three those boats were designed by my old friend Dudley Dix.
    From left to right: Dix 38 frameless radius chine, Dix 57 radius chine and on the right the Dix 65 radius chine. Both the 65 & 57 are featured in Dix's website sitting in the water at some exotic destination...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.