1971 Mercury Fuel Line Replacement

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Brian Baker, Jul 30, 2021 at 10:18 PM.

1. Brian Baker

Brian Baker New Member

Hello, new to this forum. I recently began a rebuild on a 1971 Mercury 1150 Inline 6. I am looking at replacing the fuel lines. The current lines are all 1/4" , connections are with crimped fittings on the fuel lines and a 3/8" brass threaded fitting going to the fuel pumps and carbs. These fittings are not reusable, and locally I have found fittings with a 1/4" barb and the proper thread so I can make my own. However, a quick look shows the opening of these fittings is definitely smaller than the current fittings.

My question is, should I use these fittings, or go to a larger size? I am concerned the engine could starve for fuel. I could use a larger fuel line and fittings though; I'm thinking the intake on the carbs will restrict it to the same flow it has now. I just want to make sure it's getting enough gas, but I don't want it flooding either.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.