Fiberglass Chopper system

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mrbcurry1, Nov 29, 2012.

1. mrbcurry1

mrbcurry1 Junior Member

1st thank you for taking the time to read this. I'd like to say I do not build boats at this time. I build fiberglass racing bodys, and I am hand laying. I am looking to buy a used chopper system if anyone has 1 for sale. Also I was wondering if I could just buy a Chopper/Resin gun and use it from a pressure pot that is already pre-mixed. Any information would be really helpful. I know this is not a racing body site, but it seems this is the only place to find information out about fiberglass work. Thank you for your time!

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Well, there's this little puppy here that supposedly chops up and sprays just the fiberglass itself. You wet out the mold with resin, spray the glass with this thing and then spray on some more resin with your pressure pot and then roll it all out with a bubble buster.

[​IMG]

http://stores.infinityfrp.com/-strse-CHOPPER-GUNS/Categories.bok

It kind of sounds like what you're looking for.

A regular full fledged chopper gun that sprays glass and resin is a pretty involved contraption that takes a good amount of skill, experience and money just to keep it running correctly. A used, worn out one will drive you crazy.

3. mrbcurry1

mrbcurry1 Junior Member

thank you for the reply! I have one of them, but it is not working as I expected.

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

There is a 'marketplace' section on this site (go to the bottom of this page for other requests like yours) but they don't come up for sale very often. You might also ask any fiberglass material suppliers in your area, they sometimes have a good idea of what's for sale in their area.

How come the one you have doesn't work as expected?

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I'll stick my neck out and claim that chopper layups are heavier, uglier, and less durable than a skillfully done hand layup. Chopper is faster, yes.

My assesment of the serious kart enthusiast is that they want quality and light weight more than economy. That's an attitude not much different from boat racers. I reckon all that depends on the market that you intend to serve, Many, if not most, of the racers do have budget limitations. On the other hand I have seen 125cc Kart engines that sell for 5 to 8 thousand dollars. (at the annual PRI show) I do not know what body work costs but I doubt that it can be called cheap. Some of it is elegant.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.