Driping grease from lower unit

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Redwing13, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Redwing13

Redwing13 New Member

I recently purchased and mid - late 60's Sea King 3 hp after running it and pulling it out of the water,water was dripping from this hole. I figured that this was perfectly normal because I am pretty sure that it is a hole to take in water. However after checking on it several hours later I notice a decent sized puddle of grease/oil with a little water in it and it has a slow yet consistent rate of flow to it. I think that it is the grease from the lower unit. First, what do you think this is and what is causing it, second is it something that I should be worried about and Can I fix it.

I might be able to get some pics up tomorrow to help.

I also have a very basic knowledge of outboards and boat motors in general

2. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

I'm guessing it is a two cycle engine. The exhaust normally exits by going down the shaft and out the prop hub. Many older 2 cycle engine don't burn the fuel/oil completely so you will get some drainage. I would change the lower unit old just to be sure. There should be a lower and upper screw to drain and fill. If it comes out white and foaming then you have a water leak, dark is normal. They are usually filled with 90wt gear oil.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.