New member here. Intro & question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jason Connellee, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Jason Connellee

Jason Connellee Junior Member

My name is Json Connellee. I live here in Md. Been messing around and in boats for a long time now. Particuarly like the lines of the deadrise workboats and skiffs.

Question: On a flat bottom boat, what do you call it when the bottom rises up at the bow ? Shes flat and straight in the aft section, then rises up 3/4 way towards the bow. A great example can be seen at Harold Paysons site. 18' Work Skiff.

Thanks, good to be here.

JAse

2. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

I think the term you mean is called rocker.

3. Jason Connellee

What is the purpose of ''rocker" in a hull ?

4. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

No rocker no turn, high rocker easy turn. At rowing, smaller the rocker better the direction stability. High rocker easy landing, no rocker wet feet.

5. Jason Connellee

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hi Jason,

A related aspect of the effects of rocker is seen in canoe hull types. A canoe designed for "flat-water" such as tripping on gentley flowing rivers and calm lake waters will have little rocker. It will also have more of a square cross section (u). At the other end of the spectrum you have the white-water canoe with it's heavy rocker at both the bow & stern. This makes it quick to turn but also trickier to mantain a straight "course". The still water boat tracks like an arrow at times it would seem. The white-water boat will also have more of a (V) shaped cross section.

Being a biker, I have often used the anology of my Harely Sportster vs. my Triumph 650 Tiger. The Triumph was agile and responsive, a great bike on the mountain twisters. This type of bike can "bite" you if given a chance. The Harely had a longer wheelbase and substaintially lower center of gravity. It was Extreemely stable but took more mental and physical energy to turn.

I'm new here to, nice to meet you. Take care.

TGoz

7. Jason Connellee

TimGoz,

Thanks for the explanation. I am building a 22 foot flat bottom skiff. The bottom, well after the midship line gently sweeps up. The stern to about 3/4 way up are flat and level. I just wanted to know what they call that. again thanks for the info.

SW PA huh ? maybe I'll see you around.

Jase

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.