Sidewinder information

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by milford, Apr 20, 2004.

1. milford

milford Junior Member

I am the original owner of a 1970 Cobra SS 16 ft boat. This is a Canadian built Super Sidewinder. I am compiling a Sidewinder history and would appreciate any information regarding Sidewinder Los Altos/Palo Alto/Anderson, CA and Mufreesboro, Tenn. Also infor re California Fiberglass Limited - the company that first made them in Canada. I am also collecting Sidewinder brochures. If anyone has any please let me know. I have several already and can put them on CD (or email them) in exchange for what I need.
    I am also trying to get in touch with Ken Baker the founder - and designer - of Sidewinder boats. I have also set up a photo album of Sidewinder photos on an HP website and would be glad to include any others. Can anyone help me out?
    Thanks, Dan

2. Skeo

Skeo Guest

Hi, I am a proud new owner of a Sidewinder Cobra SS. I'm new to the sidewinder name and would like as much information as I can find. What is the site URL where your pictures are posted?

3. milford

milford Junior Member

Please send me a photo of your boat and the serial number . I will post your photo in my album, send you the link, and tell you what I can about your boat. I will try to attach a photo of mine here. If it doesn't work email me direct at milford@kwic.com
    Dan

4. CBK

CBK New Member

Sidewinder

Hello, I was also looking for information about Sidewinders that were made in Anderson, California. I have a Sidewinder that was manufactured in 1973 in Anderson, CA. Can I also have a link to your pictures? Thank you, CBK

5. karl l

karl l New Member

Sidewinder

Hello, I'm looking for information about Sidewinders made in Anderson, California. I have a 72 16Ft. Sidewinder outboard that was manufactured in Anderson, CA.
    I want to restore it but need some info about the paint, seats and rug colors, what make and size of the outboard motor choices for it.

It sat since 1991 as a lawn ornamentand had grass and moss growing in it.
    I'll be taking before and after pic's of the repairs if anyone is interested.

Also can I also have a link to your pictures?

Thanks

6. Kevin in MI

Kevin in MI Junior Member

I picked up a 1970's Sidewinder yesterday (more likely it's a 72) it's blue it has a 70-hp chrysler outboard with auto tilt and trim. I would be very interested in any information having to do with finding original parts or accessories.

She's in really good shape for her age, the cup holders are rusty, there is a missing pass-through door to the bow area and stern light is missing.
    The carpet needs replacing and the steering assembly was "fixed" some time ago and I would like to restore that also.

I have never seen one of these before yesterday but I am an instant fan.
    This boat is a real head turner. Any advise or information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin Elnicky

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  7. milford

milford Junior Member

link to Sidewinder photos

Hello Sidewinder fans;
    These photos have taken me a couple of years to accumulate. If clicking on the link doesn’t take you to the album, then copy and paste the link into your browser. Click select and view to see individual photos and descriptions.
    Here is the link to my 16-18 Sidewinders photo album (as of Nov. 30/04):

http://hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=milford&password=45128029

Here is the link to my 14 ft. Sidewinders photo album (as of Nov. 30/04):

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=milford&password=12081579

Here is the link to my Sidewinder Look-Alikes photo album (as of Nov. 30/04):

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=milford&password=54663882

If anyone has any Sidewinder (or look-alike) photos that I could post in my albums, please send them to me, along with pertinent information (including the serial number if possible) to sidewindersrcool@yahoo.ca. Periodically I will renew the links so everyone can access them. Enjoy! Dan

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  8. I have a 1969 Sidewinder which needs a little restoration! I am looking at possibly selling it! Has a good motor and is original in color ( Green with Lime Green accents) Just wondering if anyone would be interested? Thanks from Oklahoma.

9. Kevin in MI

Kevin in MI Junior Member

What type of engine does it have, would you be interested in selling some parts?

Thanks,

Kevin

10. SOSsidewinder

SOSsidewinder New Member

I work at a factory and performance boat repair facility in Granite Bay, CA. I bought a 73 cobra 16 two years ago and am getting ready to restore it. Due to the implements supplied by my job, I plan on converting the sidewinder from outboard motor to jet. However I need some close up pictures of a similar boat with a jet pump already installed. I need pictures of the bilge area and pump intake area to get an idea of how its all goin together.

Help from anybody would be apreciated.

Some brochures (or copies of) would be great too.

Thanks all!

Matthew (sossidewinder)

E-mail is trailerhut@yahoo.com

11. Doug_M

Doug_M New Member

Hi guys,
    Interesting reading. Ive got a circa 1972 sidewinder 18' with a 455 olds and a berkely drive. Does anyone happen to know if you can still get the original fiberglass enging covers?

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

We used to race sidewinders in uk about the 70's they were very popular. However the british made Phantom would beat the pants of em. Some thing about cornering . I remember one that had a Big Johnson 235( not a good choice I agree) and it just would not go round -- just went hard up on one chine. Ther were'nt too bad with a 8ohp Yam, but the Phantom kept on taking it.

13. Skeo

Skeo New Member

I have I 14' Sidewinder Cobra. (Probably mid-late 80's) I was wondering what pitch of propeller to put on it. I have a 1982-ish era Johnson 70hp engine on it. Also, I was wondering what size of engine I could put on it? Can I use a 120hm without modification?

Thanks a lot!

14. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

www.fiberglassics.com Has info on the Sidewinder, look at the boats section, then Sidewinder, then brouchere. Also do a web search on sidewinder boats.

15. 7273sidewinder

7273sidewinder New Member

Hi, Is there anyone out there that has a 1972 or 1973 Sidewinder that is interested in selling it -----Whole or parts?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.