1965 Delta Holiday Wooden Boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Dawn M, Nov 22, 2007.

1. woody1973

woody1973 Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply and I am so excited that I found this site!

I just had it out of the barn last week to clean it up and didn't snap any recent pic's. I keep it down at our property in the country and will pull it back out this week and snap some current pictures and maybe get an evaluation of what kind of shape you think it is in. Any thoughts on what this might be based on the description?

Thanks for your help,

John

2. woody1973

woody1973 Junior Member

Here are some pics I took today of the 55 Delta. I found out today that it originally had a 55 Johnson and he switched to a 58 Evinrude.

Let me know your thoughts on the model.

John

Attached Files:

3. woody1973

woody1973 Junior Member

55 Delta

The pictures of the boat are now uploaded.

4. woody1973

woody1973 Junior Member

Never heard anything on my last reply - any feedback on my boat

5. saintniec

saintniec New Member

Pictures of our boat:)

Here are photos taken recently of our '57 Delta.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. gallagher

gallagher Junior Member

Delta

Delta's were built in Woodlawn IL. I talked with a guy who lives near Lake of Ozarks MO that worked at Delta when he was in high school (circa 1958). The boats were offered as factory built and as kits. He told me that the hulls were made is Wisconsin he thought. My understanding is that the boats with the walk thru between the front seats were for water sking and giving the model name of "Sexy".

My title shows mine as a Sexy and the bow trim was marked on the back "Sexy $35". There is a tag under the deck nailed to the bow marked "SX 344". My boat was factory built and purchased from Buds Place in St. Louis by my uncle in 1957. A couple of years later he traded the 25 HP motor for the Mark 58.

Your boat is trimmed different than mine. The top alum trim is different, the light fixtures are different, rub rails are cut different, and your bow chocks look bigger. My decks don't have the rope trim work.

The cutout in the front seat looks more square than mine. With all the differences I'm wondering if your boat is a home built.

1 person likes this.
  7. woody1973

woody1973 Junior Member

55 Delta Woody

Saintniec,

I am glad you found this site as well. Sorry to hear about your Johnson motor but that was one of the reasons my father got rid of that motor back in 57 and put on an Evinrude. I am hoping to start the refurbishing process in the near future - I would love to have this boat back to show condition and take it out to the lake.

I looked at your boat and even though it is just a few years newer, I don't have the rope edging and mine is set up without a walk thrue.

I will keep you posted during the restoration process and I hope you keep me posted as well.

I still have not received much feedback from this blog on what "model" of boat that I own and as I said before, the title doesn't give much help.

I hope to hear from everyone soon.

John

8. woody1973

woody1973 Junior Member

An update on my 55' Delat

Just dropped it off last week to start the restoration project - will keep you posted.

John

9. Ron Hansen

Ron Hansen Mahogany Delta

John.....can't wait to see photos of the restoration. Just posted photos of onemorecast's Delta restoration. If you search 1957 Delta with fins you will see it. The company that did his did an amazing job!
    Ron

10. toddjlyons

toddjlyons Junior Member

1960 Sexy!

We just bought a 1960 Sexy in southern Colorado! It's awesome! Stored indoors for 40 years! Our first cruise is this weekend!

11. Ron Hansen

Ron Hansen Mahogany Delta

That is wonderful! Have a great time on the water. It would be super if you would post some pics!

12. woody1973

woody1973 Junior Member

Congrats

Thanks for the update and congrats on the new purchase! I agree with Ron - send pictures when you get a chance.

Just a quick update on my 55 Delta. The 57 Evinrude has been gone through completely and runs like a top.

The trailer was completely sandblasted and rewired and painted.

The boat is about 60% done. The bottom the boat has been redone, inside and out. He is working on the top, then the upholstery, remount the motor and she should be sea worthy! He is going to be sending some updated pics so I can post.

John

13. toddjlyons

toddjlyons Junior Member

Here she is!

Attached Files:

• 068.jpg
      068.jpg
      File size:
      596.8 KB
      Views:
  14. toddjlyons

toddjlyons Junior Member

..and this!

Attached Files:

• 072.jpg
      072.jpg
      File size:
      424.3 KB
      Views:

15. woody1973

woody1973 Junior Member

Too cool! Thanks for sending! Enjoy your peice of paradise!

John

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.