1964 18hp evinrude fast twin

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by valvebounce, Mar 20, 2012.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

I have recently aquired the above outboard,serial number-18402D C414804
    I believe it to be 1964 model which should run on 50/1 petrol mix.
    The slow start nylon splined cam connector has come adrift,is there a way to re-calibrate the connector onto the splined needle.
    The engine starts after a lot of pulls,but only ticks over for a few seconds,then stops.There is a spark at the plugs,and the compression seems ok.
    Is it possible to screw the needle in too far,or does it simply revolve in situ?
    I have only used the fuel that came with the tank when I aquired the engine,do you think this could be part of the problem?
    I am new to starting outboards,and have only followed the instuctions on the engine cover.
    Any help will be gladly appreciated

2. johneck

johneck Senior Member

Gas does have a shelf life, so old gas should be discarded and new gas put into it.

I believe that the "slow start needle" you are describing is the idle speed adjuster, which is a carb needle adjustment. This should seat if turned in all the way, be careful not to turn too hard to avoid breaking it. The normal setting would be out 1 turn from the seated position.

If the motor has been sitting for awhile, the carb may need to be cleaned or overhauled.

1 person likes this.
  3. valvebounce

Thanks for your reply,I suspected the gas might be old,and probably has evaporated and left a thicker oil mix.
    The needle control knob is on the starting instructions facia,it says "slow start,and has no's 1-3 and 5 on it.The twistgrip on the tiller has a "start"position,and apparently the engine is set not to start if in gear.I will try screwing it in clockwise until it stops,then turning it back a complete revolution anti-clockwise as you suggest.[fingers crossed]
    Thanks again
    Best regards

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Gas poisoned with ethanol has a life of about a month.

Mix up a new batch of fuel , and at the end of the weekend , dump it in your car .

Purchase new fuel for each outing , or find a source of non ethanol fuel.

In some countries the local air port will have what you need , but it is pricy.

FF

5. valvebounce

Thanks FF,good advice no doubt.I dont know if they add ethanol here in the uk.
    The gas/petrol price here is £1-40 per litre,I believe 85% of that is tax.
    Apparently,a journalist overheard a conversation between Obama and Cameron,they were discussing gas prices,when Obama heard the uk prices,he said,"I wouldnt mention what the usa prices are back in the uk"
    What are you paying over there?
    I believe ethanol causes trouble with the egr valves on cars.

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Gas price for regular about $4.00 USD. Depends on where you are. The lowest prices are in Wyoming about $3.45. Highest is in California, anywhere from 3.99 to 5.99.

7. valvebounce

Gas

Thanks Ike,I will presume these prices are for a US gallon.

The UK prices I quoted were for a litre.£1.40p.
    When you compare approx.4.5litres to a gallon,the difference is phenominal.

Kind regards

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.