1964 18hp Evinrude fast twin plug leads

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by valvebounce, Aug 31, 2015.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Just changed the coils,but the plug leads look old and past it.
    I'm pretty sure I can take off the armature plate to change them without disturbing the timing(they are clamped to the underside)
    Could anybody confirm that it wouldn't interfere with the timing?
    Logically,I can't see changing the HT leads would upset the timing.

Although the new coils are correct they are physically smaller,they came with a note saying the original fixing screws would need to be filed shorter to stop them jamming on the crankcase below.There was no set measurement to file off,so I will have to keep re-fitting the flywheel until they clear.
    There are 3 fixing screws to each coil,the two outers are flat blade heads,the middle is a crosshead.I have presumed that it is the two outer screws that need filing shorter.I left the centre crosshead screw screwed down,and ran the outer flatblade screws out a few turns until the flywheel cleared the crankcase below.
    Will it be ok to leave the centre crosshead screw as it is?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated."V"

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

take the armature plate off and then you can fir the coils and see where the screws protude.

3. valvebounce

Now why didn't I think of that.Getting better access will certainly make the job easier,with the plus of cleaning it off,off the engine.
    It will enable me to change the HT leads,which are in a bad state.
    On thinking about it,the timing is pre-set,so removing the armature won't change anything.
    Thanks for the advice PB,I think old age is creeping up on me,Haha.

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

the secret to get them to idle well is to have no play on the bearing between the crankcase and the armature plate.
    There is/was a kit to repair that
    Max timing is set by a non adjustable stopper
    make sure the the top seal is not leaking oil out as that gets on your points

5. valvebounce

Thanks,I'll check that out.I did notice a slight bit of play in it actually,but there was no oil getting to the points.
    There's a chandlers in Putney in London that have a good stock of parts,I'll email them and see if they stock the parts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.