Johnson 70hp maybe 1980's power connector locations

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by designad, Nov 22, 2012.

1. designad

designad New Member

Hi guys
    This may seem like a strange post but I have just picked up an outboard with no power leads attached. It has a power harness, but also a pos and neg battery connections that need to go somewhere. I can find the obvious place to connect the neg to the engine, but not the pos? Any hints please? (You can tell I'm a sailor and not a petrol-head).

Model number is partially obscured but looks like 7089C

3 cylinder, 70hp

SOLUTION FOUND THANKS

2. liki

liki Senior Member

I'd assume the battery + to connect to starter solenoid post only. Care to post the correct answer?

3. designad

designad New Member

Yes that's it. It was difficult as I don;t have any diagrams and so many wires have been disconnected, so the pos was connected to the lower post of the starter solenoid.

Also there is no key so I then rigged a wire from the second post on the solenoid and used it to short to the lower post to get the starter spinning.

Tomorrows effort will be getting spark and seeing if it will fire up for me.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.