1961 42' Matthews Stock Cruiser advice needed

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Wooscot31, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Classicpower

Classicpower Junior Member

And hoping John can help me out on this one...

2. Classicpower

Also if anyone knows of a very good chrome plater that is in the area of Marblehead that would be great.. I have a boat that I need rechroming done.

3. John Riddle

John Riddle Junior Member

Classicpower:

The plater I use whenever my customer's budget permits is Custom Chrome in Grafton, Oh. Here's their link: http://www.customchromeplating.com/ They offer three levels of quality (and cost) relative to the degree of perfection you require. Their "high quality" is very nearly flawless and the "show quality" is perfection. As in much finish work, it's the last 5% on the perfection scale that costs the most. And they stand behind their work.

I put a call through to the hauler I wanted to hook you up with and am waiting to hear back from him. I'll PM you with his info when he calls.

4. Classicpower

Thanks John appreciate it very much... will be in your area next weekend will you be there?

5. John Riddle

John Riddle Junior Member

Classic:

I PM'd you

6. Classicpower

I also sent you a note...

7. ncsailor

ncsailor New Member

Matthews

I owned a '62 model 42' stock cruiser. The transom and leaks from above decks were the only "troublesome" areas. I had some rot in the aft stateroom that got into the stbd. bunk pretty bad. It took me forever to find the source of the leak. (A tiny seam crack in the helm floor). I ended up coating the bottom with a viscous eposy from "rot doctor" in Washington state. This stuff was great and have used it above and below decks as well as in the restoration of older homes. My Matthews was fast, comfortable, and admired wherever we went. As with most older designs, she did not have the beam enjoyed with some newer boats, but she was great.

8. ncsailor

ncsailor New Member

Matthews

I owned a 42' stock cruiser for a number of years. The marina where she was docked allowed her to sink after the battery charger went out. When I bought her, she was on the dry. I applied a viscous epoxy resin from a fellow called the rot doctor on the west coast. I applied this to the hull and used some to stop and repair dry rot on the superstructure. It worked very well. Mine had ford v-8's and drank a lot of gas, but she could move. My boat was sold to someone whom I do not know in SC, I believe. They are a great boat and with a bit of maintenance she will last a long time. Good luck with her and enjoy the work and the sailing.

9. ncsailor

ncsailor New Member

I owned a '62 stock cruiser in NC. I bought her out of the water. The hull and frame were solid, but there was an A/C unit on the cabin topside that was not properly draining and caused rot in that area. I used a viscous epoxy from "The Rot Doctor" for repair. I also shaved the 60 years of bottom paint from the hull and coated it with the same material after recaulking a few areas. I moved out of state and the marina let her sink because a circuit breaker (GFCI) tripped so the batteries went down. These are fantastic boats and beautiful. After much research, I found that the product from Rot Doctor is a must for preservation of wooden boats. Mine was wonderful, except for the huge Ford gasoline engines.

10. rangebowdrie

rangebowdrie Senior Member

I remember working on a 42ft Matthews sport fisherman, it was a late '50s model with the Chrysler 392 hemi engines.
    They were a popular engine in the day.
    On another note, maybe some of you old-timers will remember a TV show from that time period;
    CRUNCH AND DES opening credits - YouTube

11. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Dont put a charger or a fridge on a GFCI circuit breaker in a leaky old wood boat, like he said it sank due to that error.
    Better yet, dont let your wood boat be a leaky old wood boat, that just reinforces wood boats to have a bad reputation with marinas.
    Although it is probably too late for wood boats to have an image makeover with them.

Before my major hull repairs, my pumps ran every 15 minutes.
    Now they don't come on at all except for when it rains. But its still an old wood boat in many people's eyes, but they will say she has great lines. I keep wondering how long before all the wood boats are gone, mine will be among the last ones floating, I am talking of old large power cruisers, there will always be small wood boats. Some marinas wont let you slip a wood boast, they have a lot of business, so why risk having one sink at their marina. Of course at our marina, I can count 5 FG boats that have sunk over about 5 years, but people don't blame the FG boat, they blame the negligent owners, but with wood boat they tend to blame the boat cause the wood boat owner is usually always working on it. LOL

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.