1960's (?) Vintage Racing Boat? Information needed!

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by K.Otis Hill, Sep 1, 2007.

1. K.Otis Hill

K.Otis Hill Junior Member

Hi!
    I have just bought a vintage speed boat with what seems to be a 1967 Mercury 1100 SS attached to it (Pictures are at: www.lupeli.com/lupeli1 )

I found it at a yard sale of quite a dump, and the seller knew nothing about the boat. But it does look quite special to me, since it seems to be built with plywood (?) on steel frames. So I assume it to be very light and together with the 110 HP engine quite a "lethal weapon"!

Anyway: I have NO information what so ever as to the history of this boat. Where was it built, and when?
    Needless to say that I would not only be very interested in Information but also in i.e. old pictures since I would like to restore it to its former glory.

From the engine the entire guts of the lower end/ gearbox are missing so I am trying to either locate these parts or to get my hands on an entire lower unit (or even the whole thing for spare in the future) - I am living in Mallorca/Spain and this is also where I would need the parts shipped to
    Maybe someone here can direct me to someone who might have them?

2. K.Otis Hill

Darn? Nobody in a design forum knows anything about this boat?
    Oh well........ maybe you guys here can help me out with another problem:

I bought a second engine!
    Today, on ebay, (.com) Auction Number: 190147610141
    (anyone cares to have a look?)

Anyway:
    Now I need to ship the dam thing from the USofA to good old Europe without it costing me an arm and a leg!

Anyone around here with good advice (or his own shipping company?!) on how to get a 350 lbs Outboardmotor to my whereabouts?! (Mallorca/ Spain)

3. diagram

diagram Junior Member

You might want to look at the work of Renato "Sonny" Levi and/or his book "dhows to deltas". In Chpt V he notes the start of Delta hull shape. The 16 and 17.5 are pictured and appear to have a similar shape but, not identical.

4. K.Otis Hill

Hi Diagram! Could you by any chance let me have a scan of these pictures. I googled for the book you mentioned, found 1 (one!) and the pricetag is $ 350.00

Woa! Thats a tad stiff for me not even knowing of thats what I have been looking for!

Thanks

5. diagram

diagram Junior Member

I can but will take a few days - have to get to a scanner. I think I paid around a $100.0 for mine - good investment.

6. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Well, what I Can tell you is that it's powered by one of the good ones, the old (Pre '82 IIRC) inline-6 Mercs. The good news is, that's a great engine, about as hard to understand and as reliable as an anvil. Lots and lots of parts still available, including aftermarket performance parts. the 900/1100/1150 series were kind of in the same family, just drop the final '0' and you have horsepower they had out the door from the factory. Very torquey down low and good redline. Your English skills seem more than good enough for Google searches for "Mercury 110 Lower Unit Parts" searches.

Can't tell you much about the hull except that to my untrained eye it looks like a screamer in smooth water, and that the strakes will pound your fillings loose in any kind of chop.

7. diagram

diagram Junior Member

K.Otis Hill

Do you have an e-mail address?

8. K.Otis Hill

yup, but don't want to post it here, since these spam spiders are always crawling forums first, but it's on my website (www.lupeli.com/lupeli1) and I've also just mailed it to you!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.