1960s Soviet Aluminum Foil Sails

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mustafaumu sarac, Jul 12, 2022.

1. mustafaumu sarac

mustafaumu sarac Senior Member

I found a website in russia , barque.ru.
    It has a collection of soviet magazines 1960s to mid 2000s.
    They are in html format and google instantly translates the pages to english.

I read there 1960s soviet aluminum foil sail idea. I dont know how big or thick the foil and I dont have a idea whether they are economical or tear resistant. I think cooking microwave oven foil cups are the thickest foils you can find. I dont know whether they are seawater resistant or plastic foil coated.

I had been seen anything like this idea in europe or middle of north america continent.

Can you please shed some light ?

umut
    istanbul

2. mustafaumu sarac

mustafaumu sarac Senior Member

3207.jpg

SUPRISE , I SEARCHED THE SOVIET MAGAZINES AGAIN AND FOUND THEY HAD BEEN REPORTED THE CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY INVENTION WHERE STUDENTS MADE ABOVE SAIL CAR AND MADE THIN FOILS GLUED SEVERAL LAYERS UP TO 0.3 MM TOTAL THICKNESS.

ALUMINUM COMPANY HAD BEEN SPONSORED THEM.

SAIL CAR HAD BEEN CLIMBED TO 50 MPH SPEED. SAIL AREA WAS 30 M2.

THEY REPORT THE SURFACE WAS PERFECT.

YEAR WAS 1967 AND I DONT KNOW HOW THEY GLUED THE THIN FOILS ?? ANY IDEA ?

CAN WE MAKE SURF BOARD SAIL OR SMALL BOAT SAIL WITH THICK HARDER FOIL LAMINATIONS.

IS THERE SEA WATER RESISTANT CHEAP THICK FOIL ?

I READ HOUSEHOLD AL IS 0.016MM THICK. YOU NEED 20 LAYERS TO REACH THE 0.3 MM. I THINK BEST BET IS TO USE PLASTIC LAMINATED FOIL.

I THINK COOKING FOIL IS BEST. LESS LAYERS ARE LESS WORK AND PRICE.
    I THINK UPPER AND LOWER SURFACE CAN BE PLASTIC LAMINATED ONES TO PROTECT FROM SEAWATER

I THINK SURF BOARD SAIL WOULD BE GREAT BECAUSE THESE HIGH TECH PLASTIC FILMS ARE HARD TO ACCESS AND VERY EXPENSIVE.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  3. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

You might want to look into Aluminized mylar space blankets? But my guess is that anyting with aluminum will be pricier and weaker compared to other materials, with all the other things being equal, plus any mirror like solar reflections might be a negative.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.