1960 Chris Craft sportsman restoration project

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by rhtmarine, Jul 18, 2011.

1. rhtmarine

rhtmarine Junior Member

two more planks steamed in today...

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      296.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      269.7 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      253.2 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      247.8 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      287.2 KB
      Views:
  2. rhtmarine

rhtmarine Junior Member

Made progress on my restoration today...

Attached Files:

3. rhtmarine

rhtmarine Junior Member

Guys, I have made major progress on my restoration project... take a look. Bob

Attached Files:

4. mpe

mpe Junior Member

Hello, Can anybody help?
    I have been trying to get CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) in the UK but can't find a supplier.
    Seems to be available everywher in the US but most resin suppliers in the UK have never heard of it.
    I can get the Bonda wood hardener but I don't think that is epoxy

Many thanks,

Alan

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What are you using penetrating epoxy on? I ask, because there aren't many applications for this that can't be solved with regular laminating resins. CPES is a marketing ploy, not a truly viable product. You're paying for solvents at several times their cost and the resin is also very pricy. Frankly CPES (Smith Brothers) is a joke and with very few exceptions, isn't used professionally. Don't get me wrong, some swear by this stuff, but they know nothing of the chemistry or test results surrounding this product. So, I'll ask again, what is you need with CPES?

6. mpe

mpe Junior Member

Thanks for the swift reply. I was thinking of using it in several places on my Colvic Atlanta motor-sailer. I am replacing the bulkheads that support the centre cockpit dog-house and wanted to treat the new ones, I also have some non-structural ply bulheads where the lower edge has absorbed water and started to rot, about an inch on the bottom.
    I also have a teak floor in the dog-house which sits on some 3 x 1;5 inch bearers between the teak and GRP moulding that have rotted - I will be replacing these but wanted to treat the new replacements as they will never be able to be inspected once the new bulkheads are in place.

7. rhtmarine

rhtmarine Junior Member

Honestly...I don't think it can be beat. I love the product and it is in NO means "a joke" Every one has an opinion, but it IS a great product. You will not get the same effect thinning laminating epoxy. West marine has the same stuff, made by smith & sons for them...

8. mpe

mpe Junior Member

Another question for you knowledgable people - when replacing the plywood bulkheads in my GRP Colvic Atlanta should I use Epoxy or polyester resin? I have spoken to many people, including suppliers: half insist that it should be polyester, another haf say it must be epoxy. Others say it doesn't matter.

9. PAR

West System is not selling rebadged Smiths products, as far as I know and I'm on the phone with them regularly. If they are, I'd like to know the product number. If you knew the chemistry involved, you'd laugh (or cry) at all the money you given them (Smith's) over the years. Just one look at their contents label (assuming some chemical understanding) and you'd see why. Repeated testing has born out precisely how much of a joke it really is. It's not water proof, it's not strong, it doesn't make a more water proof surface, nor bond and it's ability to penetrate hasn't any bearing on waterproofness, nor peel strength of over coated products, such as laminating resin or paint. The simple fact is, waterproofing is wholly subject to coating quality, not substrate penetration depth. It can have some uses limiting water into things, but the same results can be had different ways at a fraction of the price of Smith's CPES. Industry and independent testing has shown this over and over for some years now, but many just can't let go of the excellent marketing (some of which they're not allowed to use any more), in the last few decades.

Your bulkhead can be tabbed in with any of the common resin systems. Polyester is a cost effective option, though not as strong, nor as water proof as other options. It short, it depends on what you want. The bullet proof way is epoxy, though this may not be entirely necessary on a bulkhead, so pick your poison. If the bulkhead rest in the bilge and is subject to constant wetting, then epoxy should be strongly considered. The same would be true if the bulkhead is highly loaded, such as under a mast.

10. rhtmarine

rhtmarine Junior Member

West marine...not west system. West marine sells "restore it" in similar packaging made by Smith & co. Richmond CA. The west marine catalog number is 518212. I like the product and find it priced comparably to west system epoxy. Thinning west systems works okay, but wont penetrate like CPES by smith & co. I have talked with alot of professional restorers about this and many other products used to restore Chris crafts and I'm happy with my decision to use cpes and 5200. I started this thread to share my project with the boating community and find this site to be full of arm chair professionals. suit yourself regarding products used to restore wood boats. I will not be sharing my project here any longer.
    Bob

11. Lister

Lister Previous Member

Finally somone who see clearly!
    I said that on an other thread, and they almost killed me.
    CPES is nothing and do not work. Thanks God the English are clever, they don't sell this scam.
    I don't know how people still asking for this crap from the Smith Brothers.

12. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Post the test results.

Please don't stop sharing your project here. I've been watching it with interest. No one is forcing you to take their advice ... You choose what opinions you want to take from or not.

13. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

He's not listening guys. I was reading through the thread and realized this when he blew off Gonzo's quadraconic hull comment. I took a moment to bing that one and guess what? I learned something. Imagine that! And you know, I'm not even a wooden hull guy. :eek:

RHT, they're not attacking you, they're trying to save you. :)

14. mpe

mpe Junior Member

WOW - that certainly got people excited !

15. PAR

A quick search on West System's site turned up zip for "518212", which is as I suspected. Yeah, I'm just an arm chair restorer . . .