1957 capri

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by nam57, May 22, 2008.

1. nam57

nam57 Junior Member

I have a 1957 Chris Craft Carpi that has a ford 312 V8 in it. The orginial transmission failed and was replaced with a some what compatable one. The engine now sits on a different ange and has been moved slightly into the passenger area. Any hints or ideas where I might find an orginal model or what other options I may have to get the engine back where it belongs?

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

3. joara172

joara172 New Member

Also looking for engine specs for a capri

Hi Nam 57
    I just started to rebuild my -56 Capri 21'.
    I'm very enterested in sharing any information you found about the boat. My boat is missing engine and transmission and I want to put in the original modell. Do you know what the modell paragon transmission it used. Also the waterpump and exhaust blocks is different cause of space problems i believe.

/Joakim

4. nam57

nam57 Junior Member

Joaral, I have just started on my 19 foot Capri and am learning a whole bunch on this site. I have a ton of wood work to do and have another thread under the wooden boat restoration section (1957 capri decking) and am mainly working on prepareing my self to stark on the wood work.
    My boat came with a 312 ford in it but it had a failure. After a little more research I am discovering that it may have been only the gear box that was replaced. I am working on pulling the motor to have it reworked while I work on the wood. I am trying to find a wateerpump and at least a gear box so when I reinstall the engine I can putt it back where it belongs. I have attched a couple of pictures to show what condition it is currently in. Check out the other thread and keep intouch, I am happy to share everthing I lrearn and am hopeing to learn a lot more.

Attached Files:

5. nam57

nam57 Junior Member

Whats orginal?

I have attached a couple of pictures of the transmisson and gear box on this Chris Craft Capri. It has a 312 ford in it and after talking to a couple of people that worked with my father on this boat they seem to think that only the gear box was replaced. Is there any one out there that can educate me on what is or is not orginal equipment in these pictures?

Attached Files:

6. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Not totally familiar with the 1957 Chris Craft Capri, but the following appears not original:
    1. Transmission appears to be a Velvet Drive 71C which is a very good trans but original was probably a Paragon unit. Paragon trans may require adifferent Bell Housing
    2. corrugated hose in upper left corner of pic one should be similar to hose in upper right corner.
    3. resister mounted on coil and red wire is not original.

Sorry I couldn't be of more Help.

7. nam57

nam57 Junior Member

Replacment engine

I have that 57 Capri with a 312 in it and am wondering what are the most popular and best fit repowering options for this boat. All though I would like to keep it orginal but finding parts at a decent price may be the breaking point for me. I need the derborn transmission with the 10 degree offset and a water pump to restore my current engine. Any ideas out there.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.