1956 chris craft continental

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by nydolphin, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Barry Wolk

Barry Wolk New Member

A new decision to make. I contacted the Mariner's Museum to obtain the "hull card". They have all the CC records.

The records show that the boat was originally equipped with a Chris Craft "KFL" 131-horsepower in-line 6-cylinder, not the 283 Chevy V-8 I thought it originally had. That changes things.

Now I have four choices:

1. Reinstall the Crusader Model 165 V-6 for a 34 hp increase over the original engine. Least amount of work and least expensive option.

2. Install a period-correct 283 Chevy, 185 hp V8 for a 54 horsepower increase. Sweet V8-burble and was legitimately installed in the exact same boat 2 years later.

3. Go electric. Peak 200 horsepower for 1 hour or cruise all day at 8-10 knots. Silent operation. No pollution, if you discount what it took to make the electricity. Good for someone with a short attention span, like me. Probably the most expensive option.

4. Find, rebuild, restore and install an original KFL engine. I might find someone willing to trade the low-hour Crusader engine for a re-buildable KFL. This too, could be an expensive option, however, I have found two rebuilt motors for around $5,000 ea.

This option would probably increase the value of the boat but, more importantly, would kind of restore its soul, so to speak. That has some value to me.

Except for the lower horsepower, I'm having trouble seeing a downside to taking it back to its original configuration.

[​IMG]

2. David55cobra

David55cobra Junior Member

I love that combo in the picture - a continental towing a continental,,, you get lots and lots of style points for that one !!!
    I agree about bringing back these old Chris's and enjoying them. I have done quite a few, left them looking stock on the outside, but as they were all in need of a lot of work, I updated all the innerds to make things like wiring neater and more reliable. Its fun to be out on the water with these old classics, but not much fun to be constantly towed in because of worn out parts letting go at strange/untimely/inconvenient moments !

3. David55cobra

David55cobra Junior Member

I love that combo in the picture - a continental towing a continental,,, you get lots and lots of style points for that one !!!
    I agree about bringing back these old Chris's and enjoying them. I have done quite a few, left them looking stock on the outside, but as they were all in need of a lot of work, I updated all the innerds to make things like wiring neater and more reliable. Its fun to be out on the water with these old classics, but not much fun to be constantly towed in because of worn out parts letting go at strange/untimely/inconvenient moments !

4. chriscraftnate

chriscraftnate New Member

Anyone own a 18 Chris Craft Continental?

I own a 50s continental but need help with some items I believe I am missing. Does anyone own a continental that I can contact and request pictures from to help me replace interior wood floor and seats? Email me at natman3@yahoo.com thanks

5. Mikeemc

Mikeemc Junior Member

6. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

It's worth it to read through these posts just to find these sage little gems of philosophy.

Good advice Paul