1956 chris craft continental

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by nydolphin, Jul 13, 2008.

1. nydolphin

nydolphin New Member

I looked at this boat today for sale. It has been sitting in this shelter for
    roughly 10 years. The hull seems to be solid. The engine condition is
    unknown. I am told by the seller he thinks it is a 289 Chevy engine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, what you think it might be worth "as is" I am also told there is no Paper Work"

Attached Files:

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

how much does he want for it?

3. nydolphin

nydolphin New Member

Right now, $ 9000.00 which I think is very high
    considering the condition and unknowns. I'm thinking
    more on the order of 1 - 2 k. The man is actually selling it
    for a woman who's husband died recently. He says she
    would just as sonn leave it there to rot if she can't get
    her price. Sound a bit strange and ashame. I have not
    actually spoken with her yet.

4. longliner45

dont know ,,iv seen one in pristine shape go fo 30 40 grand ,,look up the indian lake tread and see some vintage chriscraft there ,but those boats have been taken care of real well ,,now who said she wont take less,,,,her or her middle man?

5. longliner45

yea Id speak with her ,,ya couldent get hurt ,at lets say 5-8 grand

6. nydolphin

nydolphin New Member

I appreciate the input. I wasn't even looking for a wood boat. I just happened across it by accident and decided to check it out. I am
    into boating as we have a 2004 260 sundancer up on Seneca Lake.

It would be cool to have a classic run-a-bout, being the other boat
    is a cruiser.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Boats like this require expertise to evaluate. Your best advised to do two things. One, get around the middle man and talk with the owner. This eliminates his cut and influence, which is likely based on his lack of understanding about the type of boat or yachts in general. You want to deal with someone who knows what they're talking about. Second, get the boat evaluated. This typically requires a survey by a qualified person, familiar with the type. Anything less then these two things will increase your odds, you'll be holding the fuzzy end of the stick.

Would you buy a 1956 Corvette for 9 grand without your trusted mechanic giving it a good look over? Especially if the seller was trying to telling you it had a 289 Chevy engine (the 289 is a Ford engine).

1 person likes this.
  8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Check out the frames aft for rot and pull up the floorboards to see the condition of the inside bottom. The engine, if a 283, is easy to get parts for so I would be more worried about the general condition of the hull.
    Most of those boats haven't been refastened and so you are looking at maybe 1500 bungs to remove and replace. The decking probably needs fairing and the whole boat wooded and 10 coats (3 1/2 gallons) of varnish applied. The bottom is likely also in need of attention----- rebedding at the very least and possibly replacement of the inner and possibly the outer bottom planks.
    Hardware should be examined for authenticity and condition. Those parts are expensive to buy.
    9k isn't high if there's no rot, the hardware's good, and the decking and planking in good condition (not dried out, humped or cupped).
    The boat will get 50k if well restored.
    The engine is likely okay---- get a compession test done and the oil should look clean. The engine absolutely should be checked for freeze cracks as well.
    Of course the lady will accept less--- that remark that she'd rather see it rot is probably an overstatement. It's not uncommon to pay 9k for such a boat, even if much needs to be done to it. The survey can determine if the boat is basically sound.
    The lakes region of NY should have lots of capable surveyors (a good rebuilder is just as good).

Alan

1 person likes this.
  9. longliner45

what usually happens to old engines that sit for long is that the seals in the valves dry rot,,,needing a valve job for starters,,,and a carb rebuild,,,so lets say ya spend 9 grand,,,,and put 9 grand in it .you can sell it for a profit

10. twokul

twokul New Member

This is a continental but if it is a 1956 it has the wrong windshield on it and a used windshield frame for the 1956 22 to 26 ft continentals are virtually non existant. They are availiable new for about $6500., what lenght is the boat. It makes a large difference on the value. You have to know the condition of the hull. If it actually has little or no rot than you are probably ok but its is dificult to tell even when you know what you are doing. The windshield frame makes the boat look like a 58 or 59 Chris Craft Continental if it is a 22 ft or larger the value begins to go up the 26 ft Continentals can be very valuable depending on condition. There were only 80 ever made.

1 person likes this.
  11. twokul

twokul New Member

Just a follow up. The Continental was the top of the line open or utility for Chris Craft in the years they were made, from 1956 to about 1961. They were made later than this but they were not this traditional as they went into the 60's. They looked like the Cars of the 60's with Chrome and bright colors and fins etc.They are up there with the sportsman of earlier years.
    They were expensive new and that makes them among the most desirable now.
    They are also the most family friendly with great open interiors of the classic era top end Chris Crafts. I think they are with the Capri in representing the best of the Classic era Chris Crafts. They are beautiful boats.

12. Barry Wolk

Barry Wolk New Member

I have a 1956 CC 18' "Continental" that I tow behind my 1956 18' Continental Mark II convertible.

The boat you have pictured is not a 1956 model. In that year the 283 engine had a single exhaust. The windshield was significantly different, too. The newer design kept you from getting soaked.

Being a classic car collector I can tell you that you will spend a huge pile of money restoring a 50 year old car, or boat. Luckily for me, my '56 has never been sanded and is in near pristine condition with 99.9% of the original primer still attached to the boards of the bilge.

Unfortunately, someone has replaced the original 283 power plant with a Crusader V-6. I have a few of choices. Since the boat is no longer original I could obtain a marine 283, reinstall the crusader V-6 or, convert the boat to an electric drive. After seeing the performance of the boats made by http://edison-marine.com I'm convinced that electric boats might just be the "wave" of the future.

I posted my project on the H.A.M.B. (Hot-rod journal) and they basically tore me a new one for committing blasphemy on the highest order. How do you wood boat guys feel about it?

[​IMG]

13. PAR

I have a 1960 283 out of a Chris Craft Sea Skiff if you're interested. It runs, though the compression is getting low.

Other then that, you can do what ever your heart permits. I have no problem making a conversion from points to electronic ignition, upgrading carburetion, etc., so why should there be an issue with an electric transplant. To hell with what others think. If you're not going to look for trophies at boat shows, which would require originality, have your cake and eat it too . . .

14. twokul

twokul New Member

Barry I like the Continental combo, very nice. I also have a Continental, Its a 1956 26 ft.
    The Continental that started this thread is probably a 1958 or 1959. The twin exhaust upgrade could have been easily upgraded but the windshield is pretty much a giveaway.
    Being a long time (45yrs) Hot Rodder I don't understand the beef from the HAMB with your upgrade ideas. Hot rodding has always been about making your vehicle the way you want it.
    You could have just stumbled into a cynical bunch I would guess or maybe they would prefer a supercharged Chrysler Hemi motor. Hard to say.
    Good luck ,have fun.

15. PAR

There are two general types of old wooden boat person, the ones that use them and enjoy them and the ones that fantasize and judge about them and think all should remain original. If you still love your wife, even though she's gone through a few changes since the day of the "vows", then you'll do fine with your boat modifications. Remember, some folks are just too anal to own old wooden boats, but they've entitled to an opinion.