21 ft flat bottom 2 man Row boat.. Sliding seats

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Rowcat, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Rowcat

Rowcat New Member

I just completed a 21 ft 2 man rowing boat. I gave up speed for stability by using a flat bottom, although I am still getting around 4 knots with one man. Nice high sides that can take rough water. Please see pictures of the wood outrigger system. No need to purchase a row-wing drop in sliding seat and outriggers when you can make your own. Even the oars are long 2x4's with plywood faces. as soon as I figure out how to downsize my photos so that I can upload them I will...By the way, ripped down 2x4's to make them narrower and them put a groove down the middle to accomodate roller blade wheels. The padded seats I made each have 4 roller blade wheels, 2 per side that roll the seat up and down the rails. On a long row, it is your legs that are worn out, not your upper body. Kind of like sculling, but you can bring your girl and some beer. Plenty of room for everything, plus stable . I can stand up to pee. Try that in a rowing shell.

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Rowcat,

Exactly what kind of activity is it you have in mind abord this thing ? I see the girl, slide seats, beer, warn legs, plenty of room. I haven't tried sculling with a chick in years and you're right, I won't try it in a rowing shell :D

It does sound good though.

3. Rowcat

Rowcat New Member

21 rower

I would say the boat is a "jack of all trades, master of none" but for me, it is the master of the water way. Perhaps a pulling wherry. Nice and wide at the midships, somewhat canoe like at the ends. A lean mean green rowing machine.

Attached Files:

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The best boat there is is the one you enjoy the most. It will make others with much bigger or nicer boats envy yours ;)

Enjoy every moment of it.

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Sounds kinda like a Guide boat...kind of a rowing canoe, quite large, to carry lots of customers or plenty of gear for a few customers.

6. Rowcat

Rowcat New Member

outriggers

One thing I would like to point out is the wooden outriggers. a 1x4 parallel to the sides of the boat allow the oars to rest upon the 1x4 and all the other wood serves to support this 1x4 or serves as a pivot point for the oars force as you pull them. Outriggers that far out from the boat allows much longer oars and with the sliding seat, maximum effeciency, at least for a flat bottom boat.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.