1955 robert clark 8m timber yacht plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pentatec, Jul 25, 2012.

1. pentatec

pentatec New Member

Hi i'm new to forums
    I own a 1955 robert clark 8m timber yacht and i'm looking for the building plans, or someone who knows about the shaft log/stuffing box.
    the stuffing box fitted is origional and made of brass which is now deteriated and crumbles when touched so it needs replacing, trouble is it looks like a pipe with threads at both ends, and a nightmare to replace. anyone with any ideas how to replace or where i can get the plans to see how to do it.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are several styles of stuffing box. You'd be best advised to just pull the half a century old stuff out and install a full up replacement, rather then some sort of repair.

Pictures of your setup would be handy. As to plans, well I suspect someone is handling his stuff. This assumes it's the Gipsey Moth III designer, Robert Clark.

Log onto > http://www.woodworkforums.com/f29/ < and ask around. Mik or or someone will be able to help I'm sure.

3. pentatec

pentatec New Member

I am going to replace the whole thing as we have a new diesel 20hp engine for it.

I dont have a picture of the stuffing box but it looks like a brass pipe with a screw thread 1" either end and glued into place.

Attached Files:

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A stuffing box is a machined pipe with a gland nut and keeper screwed on top of it. Typically, it's bronze, not brass (big difference, even though they're both copper alloys) and direct replacement isn't particularly difficult, except the shaft alignment thing, which will make you cuss for hours..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.