1950 Chris Craft sportsman

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by vw7266, Jun 3, 2010.

1. vw7266

vw7266 New Member

I have the oppurtunity to buy this boat locally it hasnt seen water in 30 years and was stored inside and outside covered over the past 25 years by the current owner. He supposedly has the hardware/gauges etc stored in the garage from when he took them off years and years ago. Motor is still int he boat and is a K model I believe...I can get it fairly cheap..Ive built a few canoes and restored alot of old VWs so Im not really afraid of a project. I just dont want to spend the 500 bucks buying it if its not worth fixing...I havent seen it in person yet there are the only crappy pictures I was emailed. I guess my main concern is if I will beable to use the current planking on the outside of if it will all need replaced...its obviously shrunk from being dried out...replanking an entire boat is not something I want to get into right now

anyways heres some pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ned L

ned L Junior Member

A lot will depend on what you want as an end result. A top end 'show winner' would probably end up with less than 10% original material remaining. As for a usable, good looking boat, most likely the bottom will have to be completely removed, a good bit of framing replaced, and some if not all of the bottom replaced. The side planking could be evaluated on a plank by plank basis. Most of it would probably end up at least coming off in a restoration/rebuilt process. The decks would most likely need complete replacing in order to look like anything decent.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

That kind of boat requires an enormous amount of work to restore. The planking may have shrunk but more importantly fasteners have been stretched and loosened. Refastening is time consuming even if the planks are not too dried out. Expect rot down low and up under the bow at the deck.
    I don't see the deck, but that's another area where refastening will be needed along with recaulking. Not difficult, just time-consuming.
    Missing hardware is what can end it for you. Correct replacement parts are expensive and it's likely some stuff is missing. On the other hand, the boat may have more value as a parts boat for you to ebay out.
    Do not buy sight unseen unless for very little money! Major missing parts like rudder or fuel tank, engine controls, guages, etc. can get very costly, nevermind the missing engine.

4. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

The 500 bucks is just a token figure and has nothing to do with the purchase and should not be the deciding factor to purchase it. These projects needs open eyes and need someone that will enjoy the process and end result. If you are a penny pincher and worry about every dime you will put into this restoration, this is not a project for you even though the boat does not appear to be that bad at all. Get used to the notion that it will be easier and cheaper in the long run to replace the aged wooden parts if need be, but as noted, if you want the boat back original, hardware and the persuit of the right stuff is really time consuming and will also be an education. Be forewarned though that if you enjoy the process, you just may need more money as you may decide to buy more. You will become exposed to other like minds and other hulls with shiny stuff all over them and seeing the results of other people's labor of love.