Help in boat identification and modification questions

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Mandingo, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Mandingo

Mandingo Junior Member

Hi all,
    Wondering if anyone can help in identifying this boat that I have picked up. My thoughts are possibly a Hartley Fisherman 18 or Hartley Flareline 18. I am not sure of the main differences between these two boats there is not much information on the Fisherman on Hartley website.

I guess depending on correct identification of the boat these were the questions that I was wondering:

1. Is it possible to extend the boat 600-800mm further back? this would bring it from 18ft to 20ft and help alot with getting more space in the back that I am after. I am not really wanting to just mount an engine pod on the rear to move the motor further back, rather to extend the length of the aft section both for room and everytime I look at it I just picture it with more length in the rear as more aesthetically pleasing in my mind.

2. The boat has been designed for outboard I believe it had 75hp on it. I had planned to build something very similar to this (hence I took it when I had the chance) but wanted to run a straight shaft inboard in it possibly a small blaxland or simplex motor just to putt around the waters on.
    If this boat is designed as a planning hull and not a displacement hull (Possibly that is the main difference between the Fisherman and the Flareline) would it handle terribly to convert the outboard to inboard having in mind of extending the keel down for tracking?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. skaraborgcraft

skaraborgcraft Senior Member

The Fisherman 18 was a displacement hull based on the TS18 sailing hull. What you appear to have is the Flareline. Like some designs, a 10% stretch is well within reason, but normally done proprtionally along its length. However, given the almost straight sections in the aft body, a simple extension is certainly possible.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

A lengthening at the stern is always possible, that is not the point. The subject to study is whether the stability and navigability conditions of the enlarged boat will be correct. As the length increases, the buoyancy center moves aft while the new engine will cause the CoG to move forward, totally changing the boat's balance floatation. On the other hand, the inboard engine will need a box in the cockpit that may need as much length as the one gained by increasing the length.

fallguy likes this.
  4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

I agree with Skaraborg and Tansl above.

Be aware that extending the stern will be quite a big job really - you cannot just do a simple 'butt joint', rather you will need to cut away a lot of the existing stringers in order to extend them.

And while you will gain a bit of space by stretching her 2', as Tansl says you will lose all that space (and probably more) by having an inboard engine in the middle of the cockpit.
    This will be a big job as well, not only re adding a keel, but building engine beds, and adding rudder and steering system.

Have you tested the boat in the water yet? If not, try the boat as she is, with a suitable outboard motor - you might be pleasantly surprised to find that you do actually have 'enough' room for your intended usage (never mind that it is always nice to have more).

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

That is a great looking boat. I'd clean it up and put a nice ob on, maybe some buoyancy foam for safety, and run it.

It has quite a bit of weight for'd with the cabin; hopefully offset by the ob. I doubt you get away with the inboard conversion without extension and even then the cob/cog alignment are certainly in question, and the boat could easily end up in negative trim.

bajansailor likes this.
  6. skaraborgcraft

skaraborgcraft Senior Member

If you wanted more cockpit space, I would rather consider cutting away some of the cuddy area instead. If you are considering displacement speed, then using as it is with an outboard is going to save you a LOT of money, compared to a stretch and inboard installation.

bajansailor likes this.
  7. Mandingo

Mandingo Junior Member

Thankyou everyone for your input. Yes I am planning at this stage to just find perhaps 40hp ob, repaint the boat and touch it up to make it look nice and use it as it is. I can see the magnitude of the work to extend it and I think you are correct in that it is a flareline and therefore not a displacement hull.
    Knowing this I will not go for the inboard conversion rather I will enjoy the boat as it is and when I have the time and money at some stage in the future I will sell it and put the funds towards building a boat designed for displacement and a bit longer in length.

philSweet, bajansailor and fallguy like this.

8. Mandingo

Mandingo Junior Member

/
    Can I ask you to clarify what cob is? and do you mean center of gravity with cog? (I was thinking it might be center of boat?) I noticed that on the underside of the hull it is not really a flat plane - even right down at the end under the transom it is somewhat slightly rounded or 'bowed' shape. Would this be a semi- displacement hull rather than a planning hull?