18ft trailerable yacht

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by stubby, May 10, 2010.

1. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

2. stubby

stubby Junior Member

yes I have looked at that alot, would you be able to singlehand it easily?
    and I am aiming for something in between John Welsford's Sweetpea and the i550.

3. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

I couldnt tell you, Ive never seen one in the flesh, and easily is a relative term, Ive seen pictures of a Shaw 650 being saled single handed.

The point of the i550 links was so you could answer some of your own questions TTB has a rotating prod that you mentioned, the other option would be a deck mounted retractable prod.

4. stubby

stubby Junior Member

yes I got the idea for the rotating prod off TBB, but I can't seem to find a pic anywhere.

5. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

There are some around, have a sift through the sailing anarchy and you will find the ones you need

6. stubby

stubby Junior Member

I have looked through sailing anarchy but with no avail. would anyone be able to post a link with how to make an articulated bowsprit? I have an old windsurfer mast that would probably work quite well.

7. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Here is a search of Sportboat Anarchy on the topic.

A quick run through will find several threads talking about just your question.

--
    Bill

8. stubby

stubby Junior Member

Thankyou I managed to find pics of TTB, and it is SO stupidly simple, now for a job to build this thing.

9. stubby

stubby Junior Member

I will happily take donations though ;) :D :D :p

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

---------------------------------
    Jordan, have you considered a square top main? Has tremendous advantages aside from looking cool. And don't hesitate to consider-even on just a theoretical basis- something like Wellbourn's DSS foil. As a budding designer considering the application of new technology can help you learn about design, the technology and broaden the horizons of your thinking. For instance: you mentioned that you might consider putting inside lead ballast on the boat. Did you know that a small DSS foil about 4'(1.23m) long with a chord about the same as a Moth hydrofoil(4.75"/.12m) could provide over 250lb(113.6kg) of righting moment 2'(.61m) from the side of the boat at 7- 8 knots of speed?! And it gets way better the faster you go....Guys like Hugh Wellbourn are approachable and would probably help you as his schedule permits.
    Good Luck and practice(carefully) thinking outside the box.....

11. stubby

stubby Junior Member

1. A DSS foil would take up the room that is already lacking in the cabin of an 18ft boat
    2. It adds unneeded complexity, IMO I think it would be best if this boat could be built by a first time builder, so if the design does work and I decide to sell plans or whatever, it is too hard to do. If it can be built easily by a first time builder it would be much more practical for many people(not too mention me).

with the fathead main, I think this would add too much to the cost of the boat, and I have NO money. I want the boat to be cheap but fast.

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Just something to think about. Your comments make sense.

13. stubby

stubby Junior Member

Yes I like the idea of a DSS foil but for me, and most other people it would be too hard to construct, the foil is the easy bit its all the systems that go with it.
    I want to have the boat on the water for approx $7,000

14. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

There's a few great ways to keep a budget down.

1 - design the boat to take gear off a popular one design;
    2 - design the boat to take gear off a popular one design;
    3 - design the boat to take gear off a popular one design; and
    4 - design the boat to..... you guessed it!

For example, I've got an old Etchells rig on my 28'er. Etchells guys have stacks of sails in almost new condition that they sell for about 1/10 the cost of a new sail. The mast cost a few hundred bucks.

At your size, you may be able to design for a Sharpie or 16 Foot Skiff rig. Then, for example, you can pick up an old 16 for a few hundred bucks and you'll end up with two or three good sets of spars, about 8 sails, good foils, and bucketloads of Harken and Ronstan fittings. And I've seen some guys use the hulls as very nice fishing boats with a small outboard.

15. stubby

stubby Junior Member

ok sounds like a plan. I still need a job to do that though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.