rivetgun

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by beernd, Jun 3, 2012.

1. beernd

beernd Junior Member

Hello,
    I am wondering if it is a good idea to build an aluminium boat and fasten it with pop rivets (sorry I could not find a proper translation, but I mean the rivets you shoot in with a rivet gun.

I ask this because on the one hand I like luminium as a building material, but I don't have any welding skils at all.

Thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can get blind rivets that don't have a hole. The design of a riveted hull is very different from a welded one, so make sure the plans account for that.

3. beernd

beernd Junior Member

Thank you for your reply,
    will do a little Google research

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Many, I would even say most (and all before the invention of TIG/GTAW welding), lightweight aluminium boats are built with rivets and "rivet guns" (i.e. pneumatic hammers), but they use solid body driven rivets, not blind "pop" rivets. The reason is obvious if you think about it for a moment.

5. beernd

beernd Junior Member

@jehardim,
    thank you for your reply

6. Gump

Gump Junior Member

7. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Maybe you could try the aircraft method of using soft aluminum rivets and a pneumatic riveter. You drill the hole, temporary hold the parts down with clecos (you need a cleco plier), drill the second hole, remove cleco, insert the rivet, place a backing plate and start riveting. An so on and so forth. Downside, you may need an assistant to hold a backing plate in deep areas.

Tools and materials available from aircraft suppliers.

8. beernd

beernd Junior Member

I think that you are right, because an aspect that I have overlooked, is that the "pop rivets" have to be the same marine grade aluminium.

I just keep toying around in my head, (I am building a 25ft wooden boat right now so that will keep me busy for a while :)

Another of my brain f***ts, is to build sort of lapstrake and use epoxy also, for bonding, the rivets would than serve as permanent clamps. :idea:

It would be great to be able to pre bend the alu strakes to get an efficient use of the material, and the lapstrake hull would be quite strong.

I keep looking and toying with this idea.

Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.