17ft coastworker deck design

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Sinnie, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Sinnie

Sinnie Junior Member

So it's decided, this is a dry bilge boat; those drain holes at the bottom of the transom are leaving to be replaced with something that can be closed off reliably BUT can be opened to have bailing capabilities if say I lost pumping or if I'm running in big sea (which I won't be planning on doing mind..)

So screw plugs on the inside of transom to give the absolute seal for when boat is unattended and duckbills on the outer, thoughts on this?

I almost feel like I'm going over the top with this but this is my first open console boat, there's no cabin to divert green water for me anymore...

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Well, there are a couple ways you can get foams involved. Any spaces that are not used can be foamed; not just beneath the sole. In fact, foaming under gunwhales and decks is even better because a swamped boat can float upright.

3. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Plug up the transom end of the service channel, then fill it with water from the high point in the console.
    You’ll know by tomorrow if it leaks.

fallguy likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.