Project for 6yo (Pirogue)

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by jdarling, Jun 29, 2009.

1. jdarling

jdarling Junior Member

My kids are home schooled and we are looking into "practical learning projects" that we can bring in multiple curricular areas with. Since the oldest has a great deal of interest in boats, fishing, camping and the likes I am thinking of having him build a boat from scratch.

This way he can research the history of boats, the match behind them, and will have to read the directions on how to build it. I realize that this may seem ambitious for some 6 year old's but believe me, my child has no problem building things and researching them (I've had him doing it for many years).

The easiest boat design I could find seems to be a single sheet Pirogue. Where by he could use the tablesaw (with supervision of course) to cut down a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" ply into 2@1x8 (sideboards) and 1@2x8 (bottom) sections. Cut and shape the stems, assemble the "sideboards and stems" into the basic frame, then using an angle finder work out how to build his ribs. Once he gets all of this assembled place it onto the bottom and draw/cut out the bottom of the boat. Hand it off to dad for the fiberglass work (I don't let him deal with too caustic of stuff yet). Once fiberglassed he could take back over with the finishing.

My question is this, Is there an easier boat out there that I'm missing some place?

I don't want to get him into lap joints (he takes too long doing them) and I would like to stay away from too complex of math (figuring the double angles on the stems is about as complex as he can handle at this point).

Also, any good books on boat history for kids? Think along the lines of a 10 year old reading level and comprehension.

Thanks,
    - Jeremy

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can build an 8' pirogue without any ribs. Use 1X12 pine shelving board for the sides. Cut the bow and stern and maybe 10 degree angle from the vertical. Bevel both ends and glue and screw them together. Put a seat in the middle which will give the boat its shape. Flip it over and plane the edge flat. Lay plywood over it, scribe the edges, cut it and glue and screw it in place. Liquid nails works fine for setting that, but you can use epoxy or whatever else. Round all the edges and lay 1 1/2" fiberglass tape. Paint and install oarlocks.

3. jdarling

jdarling Junior Member

Isn't 1x12 pine shelving going to be a bit stiff? I don't know what they sell around other parts, but here its 3/4" thick and even at 8' would be a challenge to bend. But it is something I hadn't thought of and I'll have to double check my hardware stores :).

Another question, some plans call for the bottom of the sideboards to be curved, is this really necessary? I realize that not curving will cause an upwards curve to the bottom, but again this would make novice building easier I would think.

- Jeremy

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

3/4" will bend. I have done it. To stiffen the bottom, glue and screw a couple of 1X2 shoes on the outside. Screw them froom the inside. You have to go through the lumber pile to get the best they got. A few knots are ok as long as they are tight.

5. drzaius

drzaius Junior Member

i ordered a $59.95 pirogue kit from www.Unclejohns.com. havent gotten it in mail yet. will let you know how it works. check out the site.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.