Canoe sailing questions

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Ward, May 17, 2003.

1. Ward

Ward Junior Member

Im almost done building my 12' canoe, and I'm already thinking of adding a sail to it :p I know it can be done, I've seen plenty of examples. But I have a few questions.

First, how 'deep' should the leeboards be? I'm not really sure how far they need to extend into the water.

Second, how can I find out how much sail area I would need? I don't want something that will require me to hang off the side of the boat for ballast, but I'd like to move faster than a crawl.

Third, What kind of rig would be the easiest to set up? Im thinking a single low aspect ratio bermuda rig would probably be the simplest, but I don't have much experience with other rigs.

Lastly, what kind of speeds can I hope for. My canoe is a pirogue design, hard chines, flat bottom, flat sides. I have actually heard that the hard chines will work well when listing. The boat is 12'2", 32" beam, and I weigh about 150 lbs.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated, keep in mind that I have never built a sailboat before, although I have had some experience with them.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I would have a sprit rig with 50-60 sq.ft.

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Canoe Rig, The Essence and the Art, by Todd E Bradshaw, this is the best book I know of on the subject of sailing canoes. Full of great illustrations.

Gary :D

4. Hushinish

Hushinish Junior Member

Standing lugsail 50 sqft with just under 2 sq ft of lee board in the water served me very well in my youth!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.