16' day sailor Identity?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by mcollins07, Nov 12, 2010.

1. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Can anyone help identify this design, make, model, or brand?

It is a 16' production boat, made from fiberglass polyester, with aluminum spars.

~ Michael

Attached Files:

2. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

My cousin recently purchased this boat for $250. The mast and boom came with it, but are not on the boat. Also, a centerboard and rudder came along. The centerboard and rudder are wooden and needs to be refinished, if not rebuilt. The hull has major pits in the bottom, so we intend to fair and smooth with epoxy/micro-balloons then paint the hull with and epoxy paint.

There is a low bridge near where he lives on a lake, so he wants a tabernacle which will allow the mast to be lowered on the fly.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The boat doesn't appear to have sufficient structure, to support a reasonable tabernacle setup. I suppose you could build something into the boat, but considering the size of the boat, weight and contrivance will be a constant difficulty. Does it have a sail? If so have you checked the insignia?

1 person likes this.
  4. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Paul, Thanks for your input on the tabernacle infrastructure.

No sails came with the boat and I did not find a vendor ID number or anthing thing along those lines on the boat. In one of the pictures you can see a yellow sticker on the bow, but the printing must have faded.

It seems to be a nice light weight, well built boat.

5. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

ID Dinghy and Refurbish

Nice hull. I love this stuff. Old, looks to be sloop with generous sail area, single-handed perhaps, no trap.

Looks like two mast steps, one for cat-rig and one for sloop.

You should open it up and be sure the hollows are not filled with junk, just the ports. If there is flotation, may be soggy, backing for hardware may be punky. You can use Pool Noodles for flotation if old stuff is shot.

The hull can be sanded and reglassed with epoxy and s-cloth where the original matrix might be compromised and that will require some sanding through the gel coat and some light inside hull to see, unless hull has some soft spots and dips or large blisters.

Otherwise, a good sanding, a coat of epoxy mixed with appropriate thickeners, maybe not balloons, fair sanding, prime and paint.

I posted 2 ripped pics on SA dinghy forum to ID, if you do not mind. I are very curious too. Bet boat is from downunderland but never know. Look well built.

PAR is the one to read here and in other threads where repairs are made etc.

Would love to know the class. Love to sail it.

I am near finishing old Kite hull and ran into some minor extra work. You will have a very nice hot boat, it appears. I envy you.

1 person likes this.
  6. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Bob, thanks for inquiring about the identity on SA.

Yes, there are two mast steps as you said.

I don't think that I've sailed anything this small in about 30 years. So, I too look forward to sailing it. It looks like a fun boat.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Trapez Dinghy

A guy responded on SA saying it was the Elvstrom Trapez dinghy. Unfortunately, the picture he provided was not a positive ID. I did a bunch of
    searching and finally found the Trapez website and a picture that 100% confirms that he was right: http://www.trapezjolle.dk/site/Trapezjolle/Forside/
    go to the "galleri".....
    Elvstrom designed the boat as a singlehanded trapeze boat but converted it to a two person crew. The Class is still active in Denmark.
    http://www.istioploos.gr/Nea_LegentsElvstromENG.htm

The cockpit layout is the clincher.

click on image:

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Thanks Doug!

That is great information.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=========
    You're welcome. I'm amazed that so far I haven't been able to find the specs on the boat but I imagine if you e-mail the website you might find them. I'm going to look some more just out of curiosity.

10. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Id Early Contender

I was not able to sign on. Figured it was Contender from Downunder, just had the look. Early, maybe an Elvstrom rig as Doug noted. Guy on SA caught it straight off. No footings for trap had me wondering.

Nice boat. Fasto.

11. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Here is more info that I found:

This was a high performance all-purpose dinghy designed by Paul Elvstrom and built by his company; not very many here in the US. It was capable of being rigged as a cat for single handing or a sloop for two;
    intended to be an international & Olympic class for the truest possible one-design competition.

The original name of the racing dinghy is Trapezjolle (jolle = dinghy in German and Scandinavian languages). We still race the dinghy in regional and national Danish championships. In honour of Elvström's 80. birthday; as of 2008 new hulls are being made - maybe with modifications - and a racing event with famous sailors is to take place this summer.

Not mine, but a sail bag had the following written on it: TRAPEZE Singlehander 1

12. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Dimensions
    LOA 4.86 m
    Beam 1.7 m
    Displacement 127.0 kg
    Sail area 15.61 sq m (inc 100% foretriangle).

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Trapez Dinghy

Thanks for the specs,Michael-where'd you find them?

14. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks-looks like a link I want to hang on to.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.