16-18' "Sit-in" Planing Monohull ("Trapwing")

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Interesting response. I did not raise any issues about the boat on a race course.

You asked about possible issues with excessive beam - and I brought up a set of real life problems. The other boats you mention do fit (without someone on the trap) easily within normal Yacht Club facilities ... your trapwing/tri-with-pods doesn't. 12' of static beam (with no one on a trap) is not within the boat size clubs are designed for, especially here in inland locations. Comparing a boat with 12' of static beam to others usually well under 8' isn't reasonable. Yes, the Tornado is 10' wide - but we've only got two of them and given their removal from the Olympics they will decline quickly.

Launching and retrieval are real issues that must be endured every time the boat is used.

Why are you responding with a defense for a question not even asked?

--
    Bill

2. bistros

bistros Previous Member

I know. I brought up the launch/retrieval issues long ago (well before Steve Clark) and they were dismissed/ignored out of hand. I find it fascinating just how monomaniacal Doug can be on one of these "ideas" in the face of all logic and reality. He's really an interesting study.

People recently labeled Doug a "troll" in the usual Internet forum sense, but I really think he is different. Unlike most trolls who generate conflict for the joy of conflict, Doug seems to truly believe in his ideas without reservation (kind of religious fanatic-style belief). I can't comprehend how he shrugs off logic, experience and science without effort. He's like Jim Jones and he's drinking his own Kool Aid. What is even more surprising is that he actually build a boat that was easily predictable as a failure (aeroSKIFF(tm)), spent real money on foils and carbon tubing, and has mentally rejigged the obvious failure as a success at foiling. That's likely serious money for someone who doesn't appear to have a serious career (except 24x7 web surfing).

Doug appears to be at least partially down the same road on his new boat(?) He's got a single catamaran hull, parts from the failed aeroSKIFF(tm) and a whole slew of new overly-complex schemes he wants to incorporate in a mix and match fashion. It is like he learned nothing from the first failure and he's following the same path again to the same destination. Simplifying issues and pursuing incremental progress isn't in his modus operandi. If Doug played poker, he'd go "All In" on every hand.

At least Doug's obsession is foiling and he isn't going to easily hurt anyone but himself. It sure is interesting to watch him though.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

-----------------------
    I've been thinking a lot about this and some time ago Steve Clark had commented on the problems that might be encountered on a race course with a 12' wide boat.
    Your comments will have validity in some locations but not many(and not at all to me)-also I think it would be possible to launch this thing(keelbboat version) with the wing skewed a bit to make it narrower.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

==================
    You know you really don't have a clue what you're talking about. And whats worse- to fill in the blanks of your own understanding- you simply make stuff up. Amazing....

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

===============
    I responded to your observations by pointing out that they will have no effect-as best I can tell-in my use of the boat. Since it's not a production boat I don't see the relevance of your comments to me.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.