Shelf: Structural or Disposable?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by fritzdfk, Jan 27, 2019.

1. fritzdfk

fritzdfk Junior Member

I have a older fiberglass cruiser with a solid fiberglass hull. There is a settee on either side in the main salon and just above the settee is a shelf as long as the settee. The shelf is tabbed to the hull. The bottom of the shelf is thin plywood that is compromised in spots. I can recognize that the shelf would add to stiffness of the hull in that area but is it needed or only there for the shelf. Anyway I would like to remove it if I can do that without causing structural problems.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

It’s ease or difficulty in removal will let you know if it has any structural value!
    From the pics, I doubt that it does much, even if it was originally meant to.
    The bunk or seat or whatever is below it is doing most of the work in that area, I wouldn’t sweat over removing the shelf.
    After removal, push/pound on it from the outside to see if it flexes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.