Trolling Motor/Wiring Diagram Assistance

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by BoatbyBrylk, Nov 18, 2011.

1. BoatbyBrylk

BoatbyBrylk BoatbyBryl

Hello, all, I'm creating a new post with the hopes of receiving some assistance today in the process of installing a trolling motor plug into the deck of my 15' aluminum fishing boat.

Below I've included a wiring diagram of all the wiring connections I plan to finish today. I've purchased the book 12 volt bible for boats & have been learning much about the basics, but I'm hoping to get clarification that everything I plan to do will be safe and work efficiently.

Any suggestions/advice are welcome, & also technical simple step by step advice as to how I can make this trolling motor plug install safe & correct.

*The boat has a 40 hp Mercury 3-cylinder motor.
    *The wire that leads to the positive bus in my console is 8 ga & has a 30 amp fuse.
    *The negative wire that connects both negatives on my batteries is also 8 ga.
    *the negative wire leading from the negative of my 12 volt battery to the negative bus bar is 10 ga wire.

*I'll be posting pics of the boat today as well to help give a visual. In the mean time, please don't be afraid to offer your insights.

**Additional Question** The wiring diagram for the battery link acr I have installed (shown here- http://bluesea.com/files/resources/instructions/6330.pdf) shows the need for a negative wire to be attached to each battery in the system (2) & then ended at the negative bus bar. Is this necessary for the acr to be functional, or can I instead attach the two battery negatives together with an 8 ga wire & just run one negative wire to the neg bus bar? The reason I ask is because someone on this site warned me that if I had a wire on each neg & tried to jump start the batteries that I would run into trouble.

Thanks for your time & assisatance,

Ken

Attached Files:

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

personally I think you should run two new seperate wires to your trolling installation preferably using batteries specifically for that purpose ...your link does not work .you dont say if its a 12 or 24 v unit or if its going on the bow or stern

3. BoatbyBrylk

BoatbyBrylk BoatbyBryl

I use two 12 volt batteries that are connected via the battery link acr. You can see how they're connected in the diagram if you are able to view that. When you say you think I should run two new separate wires to the trolling motor setup, do you mean 'Use an 8-10 GA wire coming straight from the accessories battery up to the location where I want the plug- with a fuse inline?'

4. MechaNik

MechaNik Senior Member

You are using someones specialized equipment that relates to their theories on how things should be done, so these questions are better directed to them.
    I can however understand that for best battery monitoring they want the cables directly connected to the battery. No false monitoring hence no over/under charging.

That is separate from designing a good distribution. As indicated by Pistonbroke..regarding high load devices it is best with Dc to have direct runs, keeping cables lengths short as possible. The current draw is also then less likely to effect other items on the distribution.

1 person likes this.

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

If by ACR you mean one of those diode splitters for charging two batteries then these are very very old technologhy and drop the battery voltage by 0.7v ...you should bin that whist you are at it ...

yes two cables with a fusible link say 100a or a big circuit breaker .

I like you metanick ..I gave you some rep !!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.