Canal Elevator, Rotational Boat Transport

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Mar 1, 2008.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

THIS IS INCREDIBLE.......on Scotland's waterway

What an engineering marvel !!

At the beginning there were two canals:
    Canal Forth and Clyde was built in 1777 between harbors Grangemouth and Falkirk connecting Glasgow with west cost of Scotland.
    Canal Union between Falkirk and Edinburgh was finished in 1822.
    Because of geographical difficulties, which created a difference of 79ft.in elevation, the two canals were connected by 11 locks.

1963 In, after 150 yrs of existence of this water way with 11 locks the construction of a huge water carousel started. This extraordinary idea was finished in 2002 and became a symbol of Scotland. This invention saves not only time but also energy

This is the only rotational boat transporter in the world. It has two arms and each arm forms a kind of huge tub filled with water. Boats enter the tub, then the tub locks up and the huge arm starts rotating.

Closing the gate , regulation of level of water and “tubs” rotation Takes 15 min. only.
    The “tubs” are filled according the Archimedes’ Law. So the weight of “tubs” are balanced.

To open the upper and lower lock and turn the whole system by 180,
    they need an engine of 22.5 kW which only use 1.5 kWh

Attached Files:

2. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

That IS amazing, but I worry myself silly on a simple Ferris Wheel about a mechanical failure. I'd be a raving maniac after a fifteen-minute ride on that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.