Best spray on / spray off deck cleaner for sailboats

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by bradleyheathhay, May 21, 2015.

1. bradleyheathhay

bradleyheathhay New Member

What's the most effective spray on / spray off deck cleaner for sailboats? Possibly something sold as an RV cleaner. Up til now I've been pressure washing a couple times a year but wagging that thing down to the dock has become a real pain. Plus I'm learning it's probably a little too harsh for the boat as well.

Thanks!

2. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

I use Starbrite Deck Cleaner. It works fine for me.

3. gybeset

gybeset Junior Member

Dilute hydrochloric or oxalic acid is the active ingredient in gelcoat cleaners. Need protective gear esp. eyes

4. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

I am going to try baking soda and vinegar.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you mix baking soda and vinegar, they will neutralize each other and produce a lot of foam.

6. bpw

bpw Senior Member

Don't forget that whatever you use winds up in the water. Often a good bristle brush is the best answer.

7. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Try a powerful soap. Your local auto parts store sells products with names like Purple Stuff, Red Max Pro, Mean Green and other miscellaneous names. It is sold as a de-greaser. A gallon of the stuff is less than $15 and will provide impressive cleaning power. A gallon is enough to do a fleet of boats because it is to be diluted with water in appropriate ratios.

If the gel coat or other hard surfaces including stainless or chrome fittings need some help, try stove top cleaner from the grocery store. That is a very mild abrasive liquid used to clean smooth top kitchen ranges. You can go the expensive route and buy stuff such as a superb buffer, cleaner, smoother, like 3M Finessit. The 3M product is impressive but the stove top cleaner is almost as effective and much less expensive,

One caveat. If you use power house soap like Purple Stuff, be careful around painted surfaces. If applied undiluted it will attack paint. It will also attack you skin so wear rubber gloves.

8. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

I was wondering if you might sprinkle the baking powder first on a wet deck and scrub with it, and then scrub with vinegar to activate it, and then rinse it all away with water. Should be all environmentally friendly by the time it's done.

This guy is using hydrogen peroxide with baking soda...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X462XIP9OU

This lady uses baking soda and vinegar...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naTTZZ77lm8

This lady used hot soapy water with the baking soda, so no acid...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HiVj8XopyY

So I am thinking Gonzo might be right about not neutralizing it right away. Using baking powder first, scrubbing with water. Then maybe vinegar and water for the final rinse. Or maybe alternate between using baking soda and water on some days, and vinegar and water on other days, for different effects.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.