What is the name of these boats?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Alan Cattelliot, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Alan Cattelliot

Alan Cattelliot Senior Member

Seems like very speedy, funny.. I've never been in Malaysia, Philippina, Indonesia. I've heard about "long tails". But are there any local names for these small wonders ?

Thanks for your help

Cheers,

2. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

Long Tail Boats: Thailand's Outrageous Form Of Drag Boat Racing - Dragzine https://www.dragzine.com/news/long-tail-boats-thailands-outrageous-form-of-drag-boat-racing/
    "...known in Thai provinces as Long Tail Boat racing."
    "The reason they’re called Long Tails, you ask? Because, as you can clearly see in the videos, the prop shaft and prop from the engine protrude out from the back of the boat and are run partially submerged. The rider can adjust the trim by altering the angle of the tail and the prop in the water, while using his or her weight to guide the boat, like a motorcycle."

-Will

3. Alan Cattelliot

Alan Cattelliot Senior Member

Many thanks, Will. As it is said in the link, we're not used to play with these dangerous boats, but I find amazing the idea to make an "occidental" electric version. In the video I've initially posted, one can clearly see that the more the boat is in the air, the faster she goes. I have the idea to make a special hull to shape, seeking this ricochet effect. Any idea ?

4. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

The flying fish.
    [​IMG]

-Will

BlueBell likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.