13' Boston vs 14' Livingston

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Igor Tchouiko, May 22, 2023.

1. Igor Tchouiko

Igor Tchouiko Junior Member

Hello all,

I usually come from a sailing world and displacement craft, but I currently have been dabbling into small planning craft.

I am comparing two boats, a 13' Boston Whaler with a 97 40hp Mercury 2 stroke ($5400 CAD) and a 14' Livingston with a 50hp 4 stroke Yamaha (2014) ($7000CAD)

My number one criteria is fuel consumption. I think the Yamaha would win that down right at cruising speeds. Also given that the Livingston is around 300lb lighter I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. Boston's are very tough boats and build heavy, where the Livingston is light and thin.

But I also am concerned about handing in a variety of weather conditions, I won't be out in anything too crazy but my current 10' Livingston is very low to the water when loaded up. I guess the Livingston is also close to the water, but in some way it feels safer. Or is that just me?

Though the Livingston costs more up front, I think the fuel savings from the newer motor, 4 stroke, and lighter weight over all, will make up for the cost difference over the years. But! I know that I should put premium fuel inside, so would this just offset all the fuel saving? Ugh so many variables.

What are your thoughts about this comparison? The Boston sounds tougher but is heavyer and more gas will be burnt. Where the Livingston is light, easy to trailer, and fuel efficient with the newer engine (though requires premium), but I hear mixed reviews about them.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

BW 13' has a hull weight of maybe 350 pounds. How can the other boat be 300 pounds lighter?

Brand new model year 2023 is 695 pounds, but no idea what year the boats are. Still, the Livingston is likely not 395 pounds dry wt.

The 4 stroke motor is the main difference. Those 50hp 4 stroke motors are fairly bulletproof.

What do the rating plates say for capacity?

3. Igor Tchouiko

Igor Tchouiko Junior Member

Oh rly? I looked online and it said 600lb for a 1997 Boston. The Livingston is year I don't know.

I just looked up the weights online and this is what I found.

And I'll be sure to check out the plates today when I go see them.

4. valter.f

valter.f Junior Member

Hi Igor.

Both hulls are consecrated. They are classics over 50 years old that do not need to prove their worth. As for the engines, there is an abysmal difference in technology between the two. The 4 stroke would be a great choice even if it wasn't the very reliable Yamaha.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  5. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

The 15' Boston Whaler with a 50HP Honda was hands-down the best buy I ever made when it came to having a boat my 4 kids could grow up driving all over the place from an early age. Built like a tank..indestructible and unsinkable. The way they hold their value is also amazing. I owned it for maybe 15 years and then sold it for more than I paid for it (I bought the 2001 Honda 50 4-stroke used and the 1978 hull used).

6. valter.f

valter.f Junior Member

Fantastic set.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.