12volt drill & cigarette plug

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by DanishBagger, Mar 8, 2006.

1. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I'm embarrassed to ask this question, but I need to ask someone, and you're the only guys in the know that I know.

I'm thinking of taking a 12Volt drill. Saw offf the casing (so it still has the battery-connector) and solder in, or connect it somehow to a cigarette plug.

Now, preferably, the cigarette plug would be installed in the boat (a splashproof plug, and the "drill" should be hid somewhere behind the cig plug, but with easy access to plug-in battery. (perhaps one could hide the battery etc in a small cupboard, and the plug itself in the front-

I'm thinking it will be a cheapo system, and in my miniature-boat it would be neat because I could take the batteries home with me to charge them. And when in the boat they could run the radio, a small red led from suncor, or a gps when I eventually succumb.

Is this a very stupid idea, or is it allright to make something like that?

Andre

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

There are a variety of low-voltage connectors, all with different advantages. Cigarette lighters have an annoying tendancy for the plug to fall out of the socket, and you would also be putting live pins on the outside of a connector (bad idea near water or metal). You're best bet is to find something like the locking audio plugs that Maplin supply (www.Maplin.co.uk).

Tim B.

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Very nice, Tim, that sounds like a neat idea.Thanks.

But what about the rest - is it safe (enough)?

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

As long as you check the current limits and follow normal electronic practices yes.

Tim B.

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I will. In fact, the reason I thought of it was that I saw a nice LED on a stalk, and then I thought that I wanted to be able to have one of those, but installing a charger, a marine battery and so on is no option on such a small boat.

Thanks for your advice.

Andre.

P.S. Just to clarify, I would charge the battery in the charger that came with the drill. "Uncustomised", of course.

thanks again.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.