12v Bilge pump timer/delayed shut-off...?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by paularey, Oct 28, 2005.

1. paularey

paularey Junior Member

Does anyone know of a 12v timer that would/could be activated by a float switch? I’d like to have a automatic bilge pump that pumps all the water or virtually all the water from the bilge area. Not just one that pumps until the float switch goes down/off. You can never get a bilge pump to pump all the water from the bilge on a automatic float switch. If the pump is lower than the switch then that amount it’s in water still when the float switch shuts it off still remains and if above the switch well you figure it out, you’ve obviously still got water left in the bilge area. I’d like to have something that continues to let my pump run for a short spell after the float switch has switched off! :?:

2. bazza

bazza Junior Member

have used SEE WATER water smart pump switches for some time.they have a ss probe that turns on pump when the water touches it. the pump runs for an additional 8 seconds when the water level falls below the probe level. have had great success with them and they outlast any mercury or metal ball type float switch i have tried. cost about 50 bucks.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

have used SEE WATER water smart pump switches for some time.

Google doesnt bring this up , any source?

FAST FRED

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I have used the Rule automatic bilge pumps for years. There are NO external floats. It does pump down to zero water of the spinning impellor. Then runs 10 more seconds and shuts off. Guard pulls off and the fine screen is great to clean. VERY reliable unit. ITT owns Rule Pumps. On the web.

5. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Now that my web access is fully working once more... you need a few resistors, a couple of capacitors a transistor, a relay and an NE555 timer chip. With a little electrical know-how (which can be gained with a bit of google searching) and a bit of board to build it on, and a box to put it in, you can build it yourself. for $10 to $20. That would be my favoured way to implement a delay circuit.

Tim B.

ps. search for: 555 monostable ic ciruit diagram

6. bazza

bazza Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.