Vince's Cruiser Racer Tri

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Vincent DePilli, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Vincent DePilli

Vincent DePilli Junior Member

I sail an F31, but dream about a custom tri, without the compromises of folding. Here is my program-- what do you think?

40 max length on deck. Make her long and low for her width, and long for her sail area (ala B&Q). Designed to sail on her bottom, not on a float. More like a meter boat than a ORMA length constricted boat. 200 % floats? Target lightship weight 3,800 pounds before sails.

Payload: 3,000 lbs?, on top of all sails, fluids and all sailing gear. Main hull form to be 11 to 1 beam/length, and elliptical in cross section. Float form sort of tornado like?

Sail plan must allow relaxed and balanced sailing upwind to 45 knots, and ghosting at 2 knots . Really want an unstayed balancing mizzen with wishbone boom, to allow efficient and relaxed heavy weather up wind progress under jib and mizzen. Rig must also allow for real ghosting performance.

Main: Carbon rotating wing mast with double shrouds and runners ala B&Q; no spreaders. High aspect (e.g A-cat) full batten square top main with ball bearing cars. High aspect should allow reefing to be more effective. Boom to be carbon park ave style, with lazy jax, exposed outhaul, with gooseneck as low as possible o boom to reduce stack height. Wide straight traveler on aft beam.

Jib: Hank on working jib (105% overlap) with reef points; or if can accommodate daggerboard, self tacking 95%. Ideally, fully battened, but with super tapered battens. Want to see really rounded entry. Self tacking is to promote tactical sailing while racing, and reduce load on geriatric crew. Should be set up so can barber haul out with asym spin.

Big light furling headsail for upwind light air (to be dropped on deck when not in use). Furler to be continuous loop, recessed in deck as far forward as possible.

Carry two assym spins, one for heavy, one for light.

Sail plan to emphasize efficient use of sail area and helm balance in all conditions.. Important to have runners to allow for proper luff tension. Reefing must be absolutely stone reliable. May want to use Hydranet radial for main and working jib—looking for reliability.

Appendages: Single high aspect kickup transom hung rudder. High aspect vertical dagger board. Must be able to remove without removing mast,and ust be able to push out through bottom. Case to be monolithic 12 mm carbon, amply gusseted, with crush areas in the board.

Systems: Webasto diesel heat (d-4, 12,000 BTU). 9.9 outboard. LED lighting. Head with holding tank. No shower or pressure water. Alcohol stove. GPS chartplotter, VHF, tiller pilot. Tacktick instruments. No radar or wind instruments.

2 anchors, but NOT in the nose. Mounted on forward beam?

Mounting points for Jordan series drogue.

Dingy= Innova two person blow up kayak?

Construction to be wet layup vacuum bagged Carbon over foam, with extra stout layup schedule. Vertical foam stripping inside female form frames, with centerline joins. Structural reinforcement sufficient to assure no movement under difficult conditions. The boat must inspire confidence.

Beams to be nicely arched. Biggest puzzlement is how to avoid taking all of the interior headroom for beam penetration. Sea stays? Torn between eggshell structure at one end (ala Newick) or truss structure at the other ala Farrier.

Cost Target: 175,000 ready to sail.

2. dimitarp

dimitarp Junior Member

Hi DePilli,
    She will be a nice boat. I am a boatbulder from Bulgaria, and ready to build your costomm boats. The target price is a appracietable.
    If you have a interest you can wright me at my mail
    partenov@yahoo.com for more info.

Regards
    D. Partenov

3. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

4. Vincent DePilli

Vince's Cruiser racer

Are you talking about the really bulbous cruiser built by Main Cat as a one off? Or the 35 foot development of the W32? if the latter, yes but:

1. The w32 is almost square-- if they just lengthened the 32, the proportions might be about right.

5. Vincent DePilli

Vince's Cruiser racer

Are you talking about the really bulbous cruiser built by Main Cat as a one off? Or the 35 foot development of the W32? if the latter, yes but:

1. The w32 is almost square-- if they just lengthened the 32, the proportions might be about right.

6. Vincent DePilli

Vince's Cruiser racer

2. I really do not understand the beam attachment-- and wish that Warren would post some details.

3. I am most interested in the rig design-- I am particularly intruiged by the idea of using a yawl rig with an unstayed carbon mizzen-- It seems to me that the fluid and balanced reduction and increase in the amount of sail is a key aspect of multihull seamanship to which which we do not devote sufficient thought-- and that the use of the jib and jigger as a depowering mode has great attraction. The mizzen might also be of treat use in anchoring and heaving too.

7. Vincent DePilli

Vince's Cruiser racer

2. I really do not understand the beam attachment-- and wish that Warren would post some details.

3. I am most interested in the rig design-- I am particularly intruiged by the idea of using a yawl rig with an unstayed carbon mizzen-- It seems to me that the fluid and balanced reduction and increase in the amount of sail is a key aspect of multihull seamanship to which which we do not devote sufficient thought-- and that the use of the jib and jigger as a depowering mode has great attraction. The mizzen might also be of treat use in anchoring and heaving too.

8. Vincent DePilli

Vince's Cruiser racer

9. Vincent DePilli

Vince's Cruiser racer

Vince.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.