120 HP slow - medium speed diesel?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by cthippo, Oct 20, 2010.

1. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Does anyone still make a 120-ish HP slow or medium speed diesel engine for marine use?

Can any of the one cylinder engines still be found for sale?

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...how big is your boat, the slow speed diesels are many tons in weight, the mid speed engines are all over a ton....how many revs are you really referring to... what size boat and displacement?

3. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Ditto on LL....

If you want one for your kayak weekender boat forget it.

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

That's exactly what it's for.

The frustration is that they make one cylinder diesels up to about 20 HP for agricultural applications, but above that are hard to come by.

Granted, I'm still in the dreaming phase, but I would REALLY like to do something besides the bog standard DD / Yanmar / Cummins stuff. There is no question I will end up buying used based on cost considerations.

Besides, being weird and wanting to do weird things, especially on something I'm building, is just part of who I am :D

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

What fuel burn are you expecting in standard cruise?How many HP ?

I think 120 may be 2x to 4X the HP actually needed.

FF

6. Milan

Milan Senior Member

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

yer but a high speed diesel is not going to run at 100-150 rpm which is where slow speed engines run.
    So you have a single cylinder at 120hp at say 120rpm now work out how big the flywheel needs to be

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Lets first make clear that we are not talking low speed engines here! What the OP wants is a low revving high speed engine, or maybe one of the old medium speed 1 to 3 cyl monsters? Powerabout touched that issue already, low speed is 100 - 150rpm in this case.

The med. speed iron chunks are still available, but completely out of reach for the OP.
    A 3cyl. ABC Diesel has a weight of 7metric tonnes, produces some 120kW at 600rpm, but has a mass moment of inertia of 280kgm², that lays his boat into pieces on the first start.
    And it would cost some 150.000$ incl. gear!

No Hippo, get a genset engine, rated at 1500 rpm and change the governor. That will most likely be a 6 cyl. in the 6-7 ltr ballpark. Deutz, Deere, Cummins, Perkins, something like that. They go new for 20k over the counter.

Regards
    Richard

9. Milan

Milan Senior Member

I heard good things from few people about Weichai-Deutz Joint Venture:

http://www.weichai.com/e_products/channel/detail_1684.shtml

These engines are installed in some Dutch traditional charter sailing ships that previously used older six cylinder DAF's.

Are you sure that you need that much power by the way? Ships that I know that use this engine (TD226B-4C2) are much larger then what you have in mind.

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

They are completely to Deutz standards, and are used by several "marinizers" worldwide.

And having seen on another thread that Hippo is planning a 34ft boat, I must say, yes, that would be serious overkill. In a 40ft motorsailor I could imagine a 4,5 liter Deere or so, but that is twice the boat.

Regards
    Richard

11. WestVanHan

CT.

So long as it is designed and built safely,be as weird as you want.

One of my "hobby" businesses is importing stuff,items,interesting things.
    Usually get free samples for cheap stuff, just pay the shipping.
    I usually forget what I've ordered,so most days are like Christmas to me.

One thing I have is an engine like this,and I'm not sure on US laws but I'm sure they wouldn't like you to put it into a new built boat,can get them up to 27 hp twin.

Let me know if you want a link to a marine version.I imagine you could put in 2 of them,talk to your designer about that weight.

Not my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jxaX74yHlg&feature=related

They are cheap...though myself I'd get a Deutz or Hatz.

12. Milan

Milan Senior Member

Yes, that’s what I’ve heard. It seems that quality is very high, and they are simple, easy to work on.

Siyang is other interesting range of Chinees built, smaller engines, lifeboats quality.

Might be more suitable for cthippo needs.

13. WestVanHan

CT.

So long as it is designed and built safely,be as weird as you want.

One of my "hobby" businesses is importing stuff,items,interesting things.
    Usually get free samples for cheap stuff, just pay the shipping.

I usually forget what I've ordered,so most days are like Christmas to me.

One thing I have is an engine like this,and I'm not sure on US laws but I'm sure they wouldn't like you to put it into a new built boat,can get them up to 27 hp twin. ...1400 pounds,600-900 rpm.

I imagine you could put in 2 of them,talk to your designer about that weight.

Not my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jxaX74yHlg&feature=related

They are cheap if you buy them direct,I think there's a guy in WA that sells them and carries parts...go pick his brain

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Listeroids are nice as a spare genny or something like that, and landbased. But they have no place on a boat.
    And they are by far less reliable than the original Listers.

15. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

The plan I'm working from specs a 107 HP JD 4045, and as TAD and others mentioned, with the extra windage a little extra HP would not be a bad idea. The sino-Deutz is a possibility.

I've been drooling over the Listeroids (and the Blackstones, and the Sabbs, and Bolinders, and even the massive Fairbanks - Morse), but so few of them were made in the HP range I'm looking for and the ones that were are either impossible to find or weigh a couple of tons. Can Volvo MD1s and 2s still be had?

These were never popular on this side of the pond, but what is available on the UK / Euro market?

Errant thought: a 5 HP Listeroid would be perfect for s ships power generator though :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.