12 volt invertors

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by whitepointer23, Dec 20, 2011.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i am looking at getting an invertor to charge my laptop and run a television on my boat. i noticed that modified sine wave models are a lot cheaper than pure sine wave. is the modified sine wave suitable for what i want. thanks in advance for replies.

2. MechaNik

MechaNik Senior Member

Cheap invertors will work with most electronic these days because such items have superior power supplies in them that land up inverting to a high quality DC voltage.

Downside is some items will reject a crappy Sine wave and not operate. Other power supplies create extra heat but my all time biggest hate would be the noise that some appliances make with poor sin wave.

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Yeah, they work fine. A minor nuisance is their frequency isn't accurate either, so anything that counts cycles for time keeping might drift by 20 minutes a day. I keep a 150 watt fanless inverter for most uses, and have a 300 watt fan cooled job as a backup. The only thing I need the 300 for is my rapid charger for lithium batteries. My LCD tv draws 30 watts. DVD player is 6 watts. Both are Samsung.

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

thanks, i will go for the modified sine wave.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.