Low HP XXL (30") shaft outboard?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by willy13, Jul 7, 2022.

1. willy13

willy13 Junior Member

I thought these might be available for the higher freeboard sailboats so the tiller arm is at the proper height. I am not finding a manufacturer that sells them, even XL (25") is not available for all the hp ranges. (Yamaha, Mercury, Honda, Tahastsu and Suzuki) Am I missing something? I consider 9.9 hp to 25 hp low horsepower.

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

3. willy13

willy13 Junior Member

It looks like that outboard in your link has max leg length of 25" xl.

Is 25" generally long enough to keep the prop in the water and the powerhead out of the water in heavy pitching seas on a catamaran? Or do some of these cruising power cats add length aftermarket?

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I have 25" legs on 90hp engines on a powercat, so I sure hope so.

I think the engine is used rarely in heavy pitching; like emergency only, so drowning risk is real, but also, not sure the engines are always mounted on the sterns either, so that'd be less likely to drown..

But not a sailor, so I only know from what I've seen in pics/vids.

willy13 likes this.
  5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

There are aftermarket kits that have a spacer section, water tube, shift link and drive shaft. I ran a 30" Merc 15hp for many years. Motors are surprisingly tolerant of near drowning. I have run transom obs in emergencies that spent quit a bit of time with the powerhead underwater - like dunking every 8 seconds for hours on end. But boats over about 26' really do need the 30" shaft.

6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

You can stack 5” extensions to your hearts desire, and get the shafts lengthened to suit.
    I’ve seen some ridiculously long ones, they must put incredible stress on the transom!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.