12 footer that doesn't swing when anchored

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tungsten, Jun 11, 2013.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've used a bridle to keep the boat "hove too" while on a hook. A typical setup would be stringing a line from the bow and midship cleats, which then becomes an adjustable bridle the rode is attached to.

2. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

Around here we use pyramid type anchors to get them to stick into the soft bottom.10 lb won't hold a small flat bottom boat in the wind gusts. 15 does the job well.

Nothing worse then having the wind blow you off your position and right into some other guys spot.

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Tungsten, I think PAR might have just solved your problem. That should work with minor adjustments as the wind or sea state (generic water word) changes or at least until sea conditions over ride freeboard. By then it's time to go home fillet and fry. :D ( I like my trout fried with an egg)

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you have soft bottom a 3 lbs Danforth will work really well. Those pyramid anchors are really heavy and inefficient.

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Most bottoms 3 lbs anchor never holds anything not even a buoyo.. Could work as a lunch hook for a toy boat in a pool but no garantee :)

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

No claim.. it's experience :)

8. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

X2

small pyramid anchors hanging off the bow make it more convenient.When fishing you want the anchor straight down so the swing is minimal.

No doubt a large hook type anchor works but not for flyfishing in a small boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.