12 footer that doesn't swing when anchored

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tungsten, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

I'm looking for some plans for a stitch and glue,12' with a wide beam so I can stand and fly fish from.9.9HP for a motor.
    After watching some other boats while anchored off the bow some swing less then others when the wind is blowing.I would like one that tends to not swing so much.Rear anchors can be used but they just tangle in the fish.

Idea's? thanks.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Try using a boat with a deep hull and a low sheer. High-sided and light flat-bottomed boats will sail around their moorings.

3. liki

liki Senior Member

How deep a water you usually fish? You could use a pole anchor in read in addition to bow anchor. That would stop swinging, otherwise you will be bound to swing though having a keel would help against wind, but could be worse against currents and certainly would make performance worse.

What comes to suitable design, e.g. http://www.bateau.com/ or http://www.bowdidgemarinedesigns.com/ would have a certainly suitable one. As well as also others.

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Boats swing for the same reason flags wave in wind... Not much you can do against it.

Motorboats which US folks tend to call "euro style" will likely tend to swing less than other motorboats of similar size because of their rounded and streamlined superstructure (which offers less resistance to wind) and chined underwater hull (which offers more resistance to lateral motions). But they would not be a good fishing platform, because they're generally marina dwellers which lack flat surfaces for working and walking around.

You got good advice by Alan White and by Liki.

Cheers

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Attaching something like a board or pipe to the bow of your boat with an anchor roll at the end will also greatly reduce swinging.

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Swinging boat keeps the bait moving, catch more fish !

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Steadying sail or at least some aft windage.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you anchor off the bow the boat will swing less. When the line is right at the tip of the bow, the boat has the same resistance on both sides and sail back and forth. An offset anchor line makes the boat set at a slant to the wind and keeps it more steady.

9. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

Yes this seams to work with the right boat.

Typically I'm in 50-60' of water,the idea is to keep my fly presentation static.

Just thinking out loud, could one use a keel of some sort mounted at the stern like a trolling motor?Tip it out of the water when traveling.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You could also use two anchors; one forward and one aft. That will keep the boat steadier. On a small boat like yours a couple of 3 or 4 lbs anchors should do fine.

11. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

I;ve read this a few times now,still don't understand what you mean.

12. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

10 lbs is the minimum 15 at the bow is perferd,and as said already its just a cluster@#$% when trying to land fish.

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

The cold hard fact is no such perfect design exists to meet your needs. All single anchored vessels will swing with the changing wind and current, some more than others and the best you can hope for is a design as posted by Alan post#2. However even this, while less subject will walk about it's hook.

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of it's owner----

14. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

Yes agreed there is no perfect one.But watching other boats and seeing what the wind does to them makes you wonder why some move more slowly then others.

So the deep V or more dead rise is what I'm getting from this.I remember seeing one such craft more of a dory I guess,had the anchor on the side closer to the bow.Didn't seam to swing much at all wish I took a pic.

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A 15lb anchor will hold a 30' sailboat. 3 lbs is more than enough. Where did you get the specifications for anchor weight from?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.